Chapter 34

The next couple of days went by with Aditya, Sharanya, and Akansha spending a lot of time together, and with Anjali's family downstairs. Sharanya had to stop by her parents' house as her dad had called her over, and since Amrita was going the same way, she volunteered to drop her. With Sharanya gone, Aditya and Akansha went down to play with Anjali and Ashish's daughter as well as spend some time with their cousins.

After lunch, Aditya felt a little uneasy and excused himself to go upstairs to check if Sharanya was back. As he entered the house, he saw Sharanya's bag on the hook and her sandals in the shoe rack. Upon hearing mumbling from the kitchen, he went to check what was going on.

Sharanya was standing by the sink, wiping glass bowls while mumbling to herself. Aditya contemplated whether to stay back or approach her.

As Aditya moved closer to Sharanya, he heard her mumble, "what does she even think of herself? If she's such a big matchmaker, why couldn't she get her own son a wife? And what's wrong with—"

"Shar," he called out as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

Sharanya shrieked and the glass bowl in her hand fell, shattering into pieces. Aditya could see how much a small thing like something breaking impacted her at that moment, and it scared him. Holding her gently as she stared down at the glass pieces, Aditya tried to study the emotions behind Sharanya's pale face.

"Shar, what happened?" he whispered softly as a fragile atmosphere surrounded them.

"I'm sorry, I'll clean this up," Sharanya said, clenching her eyes and shaking her head as she pushed Aditya's arms away from her.

Aditya looked at Sharanya as she crouched down to clean up the glass shards. Staring down at her, he knew something big had happened, but she wasn't telling him.

Aditya sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "Why are you like this, Shar? Why don't you ever tell me what happened?" he asked, frustration clearly visible with each word.

"Because I am like this! I can't be as ideal as everyone thinks I am or wants me to be! Clearly, no one understands me for being ME!" she yelled, chucking the shards she had managed to gather up without hurting herself onto the floor.

"What happened, Shar? Tell me clearly, please!"

"Forget it," she grumbled as she bent down to pick up the mess she had created.

"No, I won't!" Aditya yelled. "You are telling me. Now!"

Sharanya left what she was doing and stood up in a fury. "What do you want to know? The fact that my Atte was back with her matchmaking brain; or that my dad is having second thoughts about that; about us! Or that you are so stupid! Nobody really gets me, and I thought you did. But turns out, you don't either! The one thing I want you to know, you don't understand that. Do I literally have to spell every single thing out to you? Can't you see it?"

Aditya was confused now, as the topic went on a totally different tangent. "Wh–what are you... What do you mean, Shar?"

Sharanya rolled her eyes as she chuckled drily. Walking slowly toward Aditya with each word, Sharanya said despondently, "you clearly don't know what I'm talking about, do you? Obviously you don't, otherwise you'd have known already."

"Shar, careful," Aditya whispered, glancing down at the glass pieces between him and Sharanya.

"I can't be careful anymore, Adi," she whimpered, her eyes getting misty. "It's too much to hold in. I lo—"

Before Aditya could either react on what she was going to say or warn her about the glass pieces, one of it pricked the sole of Sharanya's foot and she let out a hiss, grabbing onto Aditya's bicep.