~19. Hope and Happiness~

Comincia dall'inizio

"Is it true?" I asked in a whisper knowing they could here and that they knew what I was asking about.

But even then I refused to look at them my gaze firmly flitting across the stars.

"Yes," Stefan affirmed not trying to deny it. But his answer made my heart sink. I-I had to leave them, I couldn't-

The pain was too much, finally for the first time, after feeling what it was like to have been cared for I had to leave it all behind. Tears immediately gathered in my eyes at the thought but I refused to let them fall because I knew they are going to be hurt too. But It was better this way.

"I-" I started to speak but Damon cut me off taking hold of my hand before placing a kiss on it.

"Eva, before you make a decision will you listen to us first? Please?" He spoke pleadingly making me look at him in confusion and a little bit of hope.

But why did he look like he was agreeing with Stefan? Still, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Okay," I said agreeing and that was all Stefan needed to start talking.

"I-I know that you are confused right now. But everything is not as simple as you think. You know when a vampire is created they kind of become invincible, we become faster, stronger and also it gives us immortality. But nature never allows something to tilt the balance so it provided us with weaknesses like sunlight and vervain. But still, the vampires will always feel incomplete

Vampires most of the time prefer to stay emotionless because nothing truly matters to them in the world anymore.

But nature found a solution for that too, once every vampire is created it bestows us with something precious. Someone a vampire would do anything to find. Even the cruelest among us would grow softhearted in front of that one person.

That is their mate. The greatest gift that nature gives us. And Eva, you are that person to both me and Damon, you are our mate. You make us complete."

All the information made my head go momentarily numb unable to comprehend what I was hearing.

This was not something I expected at all. Mates, mate bonds, me, and both of them? It seemed so whimsical. And I probably had a dumb look on my face because both Damon and Stefan slightly shook me in concern.

"Eva? Eva, you okay?"

"Uhm yeah, I'm alright. Just information overload." I waved my hand in front of me, hoping to wave away the imaginary thoughts circling my mind.

Now I understood why it was like that.

"Damon, Stefan, is this mate bond thing only felt by vampires?" I asked cautiously.

They looked at each other for a moment before looking at me intensely.

"Why? Do you feel something?"

"Uh, can you answer the question?" I urged refusing to answer.

"No. Every supernatural creature will have one. Stefan just explained to you the reason for vampires having one."

"Oh," I muttered going silent.

No wonder, no wonder I felt so close to the two of them. Even when I was with Damon there would always this small place in my heart where it would feel uncomfortable as if I had forgotten something or leaving something out.

But was it all just because of the mate bond? Do they really love me? Is what I'm feeling real?

"H-How do you know that what you are feeling is real? Can't they be just because of the m-mate bond?" I asked anxiously my heart pounding a mile scared for their answer.

My voice came out innocent, but I knew that both Damon and Stefan could here the insecurity within it. I was not sure about mine or their feelings.

"Eva, look at me." Stefan urged softly holding my face in his hands.

"A mating bond is not that simple. Yes, vampires are given mates but whether they would find them and feel the mate bond is another thing. We can identify our mate easily, but a mate bond is only formed when the vampire or the supernatural being in question has feelings for their mate.

And Eva, the bond we feel for you is as strong as they come. Don't ever doubt what we feel for you. You are our everything. My everything." Stefan whispered and finally the tears I've held at bay for so long finally escaped spilling upon my cheeks.

My body shook in sobs as Damon and Stefan gathered me in their arms cocooning me between them.

"Oh...Thank god! I-I thought I would have to leave. I d-didn't want to leave..." I spoke brokenly holding on to them tightly loathing the thought of being alone again.

"Shh, shh we will always be with you. I promise you that." Damon spoke firmly his voice soothing.

Hope blossomed in my chest making me hold onto it tightly. Maybe, just maybe I won't be alone anymore, I will have them, my mates.

A smile graced my lips despite the tears as happiness enveloped my being.

Finally, it was not all negativity inside me.

~Damon's POV~

Music blared through the boarding house as I hummed along enjoying the delicious taste of blood.

It had been hours since we've left Eva's house and the two of us have been never been happier.

Stefan, my baby brother was finally for the first time in his vampire life had thrown aside his broodiness to enjoy himself with me.

"That happy huh?" I asked a glint in my eyes as I watched my brother finish yet another bottle of alcohol.

"Yep. Never been happier." He chirped happily being so un-Stefan like.

"Well brother, to us!" I declared holding up my glass of blood.

"To us!" He too returned the sentiment holding up his bottle.