~19. Hope and Happiness~

~Eva's POV~

Arriving at home I walked towards the front porch in a daze, sitting down on the steps I gazed at the night sky a sea of stars sprinkled across it.

The earlier year of my life was not something I liked to recall, they were all spent amidst the misery of starvation, bloodlust, and thirst for survival. Those years did not just rob me of my childhood innocence, it also made me foreign to many emotions which other humans so easily could feel and understand.

For me, concerning feelings and emotions it was just all black and white.

Those who have no relations to me, even if they were to be killed, tortured, maimed right in front of me I wouldn't even blink, because not of it was my business. In that aspect calling me heartless was not wrong.

But when it came to the people I truly care about, I would do anything for them, even give away my life willingly. Because I knew by experience that not many would genuinely stand by your side.

So I'm cautious about who I get close to and I always treat them with sincerity.

And since coming to this world the list has grown quite a bit. Damon, Stefan, Bonnie, Jeremy, Caroline, and Alexandros.

Seeing them happy is a fulfilling thing to see, it brings a strange warmth to my heart. But with that comes another scope of people, for example, Anna, Tyler, and Elena.

But even then if it came to a life or death situation I would give them up in heartbeat, they were not that significant to me.

Damon and Stefan the people I cared about the most and now after hearing what Isobel said I was scared, no, I was bloody terrified.

I know how to be scared, I know how to be sad and I also know how it is to hate but beyond that everything else was just so foreign to me, especially the matters of the heart.

It was only after knowing Damon did I know what genuine love was. Before him, I thought what I felt for my family was the real thing.

Now I understand why we did not celebrate my birthday or why they didn't really care about important occasions in my life. Whenever I was with them it felt solitary like some barrier was keeping me away from them.

What I felt for them most likely had been dependence, yet when I learned that all the moments we spent together, that all of it had been fake, that they were just compelled emotions to make me seem less of a burden, it didn't hurt any less.

If I had let the hurt consume me, I probably would have been worse than an emotionless vampire.

And now Stefan and Damon, I may love Damon and no matter how much I deny I ay even have affections for Stefan, but at the end of the day they were brothers, they were family. My presence was very much insignificant compared to that.

If by any chance what I learned today was true, I would have to separate myself from them. Yes, I would have to leave. I do not wish to come between brothers, because family should always come first. Even I understand that, despite having none myself.

Sighing, I blinked rapidly willing the tears to go away as an unimaginable pain tore through my heart at the thought of leaving them.

"Come out you two, I can feel your presence," I called out my voice horse as my connection to the earth hinted me their position.

Two figures walked out of the shadows coming to sit beside me, Damon on the left and Stefan on my right.

Everything was quiet for a moment, all of us were too scared to speak and address the problem, that was until I broke the silence with a question.