Acoustic

Girl's POV

Too afraid to look at the clock myself, I whispered to my friend "Ugh, Gwen.. How many more hours until quitin' time."

She sighed "Too damn many.."

I sluggishly went behind the counter to sit at my desk, I'd just gotten off of my hour break and that didn't even refresh me.

I'd been in this library all day, don't get me wrong it has it's perks and I am a bookworm, but I have to read on my own time and not on the job. Of course.. I didn't think I would end up being this bored. In July I had started working in my small towns library, so that means I'll see the same handful of people everyday or no one at all. Sometimes I wonder how Gwen's made it this far, she'd been working here for about three years before I came.

"Have good break, G."

She nodded and quickly moved from behind the counter "Good luck, hun."

Well, there went my only source of entertainment, to beat the boredom I decide to restock and reorder anything within sight of the front desk. I checked all of the computers to make sure people logged off correctly or to see if someone left anything behind and promptly place it in our "Lost and Found" bin. I make a list of any books that have been requested or seem to be missing to send over to upper management. Just as I was starting to get in the groove, I turned and saw someone at the front desk..

Quickly I walked over and said quietly "Hi, how can I help you?"

"Well, well, well I didn't know hot Librarians existed.."

I didn't even bother to respond.

He laughed nervously and cleared his throat "Sorry, It's actually my friend who needs help.. Howie."

His friend, Howie walked down the stairs "AJ, I already told you what to ask for.." he walked up to the desk and smiled "Hi, where do you guys keep the sheet music."

From my few months of being here, I've learned that it's better to walk with the people you're helping then to just point them in the direction of what they're looking for. I get up and lead the two of them back up the stair Howie just came down, to the music section..

As we walk past the rows I ask "What instrument?"

Howie nodded "Guitar, please."

"Alright, just a little further down this section and.. We're here."

The two said "Thank you."

"You're welcome, hope you guys find what you're looking for."

I go back down the stairs to find everything just how it was before, vacant. Without missing a beat Gwen walks back in, before putting what I assume to be the rest of her late lunch in her bag.

"Back already?" I laugh.

"Hahaha.. It's didn't even feel like an hour." She closed her eyes shut in mild frustration.

I sighed "Doesn't it always."

She moved back to her desk and logged back into her computer, before staying blankly at it for a few seconds. Turning in her chair towards she asked "Anything new happen while I was gone?".

I shrug "Not really, just some new guys looking for sheet music came in."

Her face lit up "Ooo are they still up there? Are they cute?"

I giggle "Yes.."

She smirked "To which question?"

I arch an eyebrow "Both."

*****************

Howie's POV

My best friend said at full volume "For real though, she's really pretty.. Go ask her out."

I shushed him "AJ, this is a library and I would, but she's probably not interested or anything like that."

AJ whispered "Yeah, yeah.. Seriously, invite her to our gig tonight."

I sighed "I'll think about it."

At this point, I'm not sure what's making me more nervous, the thought of asking a complete stranger on a date to a performance of mine or that I have less than two hours to mentally prep for my bands first big gig. What if we bomb?

AJ said "I think we hit the jackpot."

"What do you mean?" I turn around to see him looking over the stairs railing.. I go over to where he is to peak over as well, I see the Librarian chick that helped us and another girl.

"See, this way we'll both have dates, D.. Oh shit they saw us." He drops down, to hide.

I shrug and wave.

***************

Girls's POV

Gwen and I look at each other and wave back at Howie.

Gwen basically yelled "Hey! What's your friend's name?"

Ugh, well thank God no ones in here.. Howie had laughed at my reaction.

The friend popped back up "AJ, my name's AJ."

I finally looked at the clock and sighed with relief, the library closes in ten glorious minutes. While Gwen and AJ flirted back and forth from an awkward distance, I decided wave the guys to come down. I made my rounds and made sure things were neat and tidy before closing. Howie came up to the front desk had checked out the sheet music..

I tried to make some quick conversation "So, I've never you here before."

He smiled "Yeah, we're just staying here for a friend for awhile, until another gig comes up."

I nodded "Are you guys in a band or.."

AJ interjected "Yes, we are and Howie and I, wanted to know if you two wanted to come to our performance tonight. It's at the coffee shop downtown."

Gwen nodded "I'm down."

I checked at the time on my phone and smiled "Sounds like a plan."

Howie and AJ walked Gwen and I to my car and exchanged numbers.

"See you guys later."

"See ya!"

Maybe working here isn't so bad after all..