Girlfriend

Kevin's Pov

"Rok! I'm gonna do it today."

He laughed "What? Cut your hair."

"Ha, so funny I forgot to laugh.. Anyway, I'm going to ask the girl in drama club out."

"The one you've been sending mixed signals to?"

"Yes.. Wait, mixed signals, who said anything about that?"

He gave me a crooked smile "Well.. My "sources" have told me that she doesn't know if you like her or not."

I furrowed my brow "Well tell Nick to lay off or at least put in a good word for me."

"Hey, don't shoot the messenger."

"Yeah, uh huh.. I'll try and be more direct with her."

**********

Mixed signals my ass, I'm practically a lovesick fool around her, but whatever it takes to let her know how I feel.. I'll do it.

Today I made sure to show up early to our little club and damn near shocked everyone when I came in.. I mean, I'm not always late, but I'm never early either. I ended up trading seats with the guy that normally sits next to her and waited for her to walk in, like clockwork she did.

"Well, Kevin Richardson as I live and breathe, you're finally here on time."

I smiled and tried to come up with something to say.. 

Come Richardson you're losing her!

Instead she continued the conversation herself "I see you made poor Chris change seats with you, now Joey's gonna talk his ear off."

I let out a dry laugh "Yeah, well I figured I needed to clear up somethings with you and sit a little closer to the front.. Ya know killing two birds with one stone."

Ughh why did I say the last part?

She smirked "Now what exactly will you be clearing up with me?"

I had her attention now "Wouldn't you like to know.. Oh, we're about to start.. I'll tell you after the meeting." With the last statement I winked at her, I know Howie would be proud.

Brian and I were paired up for an exercise..

"I guess Nick and AJ are playing hooky today huh?"

He sighed "Yup, I bet they made Howie drive."

I laughed "Wouldn't be the first time."

"So, Casanova how's it going with your girl, did you ask her out yet?"

"No, not yet.. but I told her I was going clear up somethings with her after today's meeting."

Brian facepalmed "Why did you say it like that? She probably thinks you're gonna put a hit out on her or something."

"Shit."

"Exactly."

*************

I was on pins and needles during the rest of the meeting, just thinking about how I could have showed her anything, but interest. 

"Okay Richardson, ready to tell me some things?"

I jumped out of my seat a bit, she in turn, laughed a little and sat down beside me.

"Yeah, um.. I was wondering if you would want to be my.. Girlfriend." I leaned back a little further in my chair and ran my hand quickly through my hair.

"Wait.. Really??" She looked me square in the eye raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, without a doubt, yes. I really like being around you and no matter how hard I try, I just can't stop thinking about you."

She was silent for a while and then quickly walked out of the room.

What the hell?

Brian peered from around the door "What happened?"

I shrugged.

Determined to get to the bottom of this I decide to chase after her. Brian pointed me in the right direction and I hurried to make it to her in time. Yet, I'm the one sending out mixed signals.. I walk into the music room figuring she'd be here for sure, while the room was nearly pitch black, I assumed she was somewhere in here. Instead of turning on the lights I walk over to the piano and play a song I know she loves, towards the middle of my rendition of the song I see a figure walking towards me. Just my luck, it was her. 

She sat down beside me on the bench and looked at my hands as they soared across the keys.

"Why'd you run out like that?"

She sighed "I-I don't really know.. I like you too, but-but there's just something that stops me every time. "

I stop playing and look at her "Whatever it is, I promise you can trust me. "

I place my hand on her's and gently squeeze. 

*************

"Hey, Richardson! Don't be late for today's meeting."

I smiled "Darlin', how many times do I have to tell you, just call me Kevin."

(A/N: see what I did there 👀)

"I know, I know.. See you later hun."

She kissed me on the cheek before heading to her last class. I desperately tried to contain my exuberance as my cousin popped up.

"Got ya girlfriend?" He grinned

"Yeah." I sighed dreamily

"Good! Now, I'll just need your help with hooking me up with the senior girl in your Lit class."

I smirked "No way cuz."

He pouted "Why not?"

I sucked my teeth "She said, you're giving her mixed signals..."

With that being said I close my locker and walk to my class, hoping to not be late.

Brian called out "Kevin Scott Richardson, get back here and help me win my girl!"

"Later cuz!"