Chapter 42: Outside Is Overrated

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Are you kidding? That was a power move," Shannon said. "You stood up to your mom, I'm proud."

My phone began to ring, and I declined it.

"Who was that?" Shannon asked.

"Josh," I muttered. "He's been calling me nonstop since last night."

She chuckled, and the three of us kept walking down the hallway. In front of the girls' bathroom, Paige was just stepping out.

She smirked at us. "Well well well, the three musketeers huh?"

I rolled my eyes. I didn't have the energy to go back and forth with her.

"Paige just go," Sienna said.

"Look who suddenly has a voice," Paige scoffed.

Shannon sighed. "I swear I'm getting an aneurysm just listening to you talk. Look, we just want to go to the bathroom so can you-"

She stopped when the door opened and Cole stepped out, fixing his tie.

Oh shit.

Shannon looked at him, and then Paige, and then him again. The smirk on Paige's face was enough to give the situation away.

"Shannon," he began. "I-"

"Don't," she silenced him. "You talking will only make it worse."

"Are you really smiling right now?" I asked Paige, desperate to wipe the smug look off her face.

"Congratulations Paige," Shannon said. "This is what you wanted? Well you've got it. You shut me up. You won."

With that, she walked away.

"God you're such a bitch," I seethed, before turning to Cole. "And you're an even bigger one."

She began to speak, but Sienna distracted me by walking off in the opposite direction.

I turned and began to go after her. "Sienna!"

I quickened my pace and walked up to her. "Hey, where are you going?"

"I'm sorry okay?" she said. "Paige she...I..."

I caught on. "That's what you found out isn't?"

"I wanted to say something but I couldn't risk my secret getting out," she explained.

"I know, and it's not your-"

"I gotta go," she interrupted and then walked away.

I sighed. This was all a mess.

I turned around and went to find Shannon. I knew she'd be in the library, and so that's where I headed.

She rose her head when she saw me and I gave her a small smile. "Hey. You okay?"

She sighed as I took a seat. "You warned me. You warned me and I didn't listen. I'm so stupid, how did I not see?"

"You just chose to see the best in both of them," I said. "There's nothing wrong with that."

She ran her fingers through her hair. "I'm so stupid."

"No you're not."

I looked behind me to see who said that, and saw Sienna standing there.

She came back.

"Shannon, I'm sorry."

Shan looked at her in confusion. "Why are you apologizing?"

"I knew what she was up to and didn't say anything," she explained. "I was just scared she'd let it slip about Mr. Wilden and I and-"

Shannon looked at her. "Wait what?"