Chapter 2

Fixing the computer had taken a lot longer than he had anticipated.  He had a little electrical malfunction that shut off the power to the whole garage.  Thankfully, he had run around with a kid back home that was going to school to be an electrician so he had picked up a thing or two.  Before he knew it, it was going on six o’clock and he looked like he had rolled around in a pile of dust. 

Juice hurried down the sidewalk still brushing dust, lint and who knows what else off of his pants.  Taking a shower had been out of the question.  As it was, he was almost ten minutes late.  He felt like he had blown it already.

He rushed around the corner and breathed a sigh of relief as he saw her locking up the door to the store.  He jogged down the sidewalk wanting to reach her in case she turned the opposite direction and didn’t see him.

As he slowed down, she whizzed around and bumped right into him.  For a second, he could smell the scent of lilacs again.

“I was beginning to think you were going to stand a girl up,” she commented with a chuckle. 

“I was fixing a computer problem which turned into an electrical problem.”

“So you’re a computer technician?”

 He shifted in his spot.  He really didn’t want to get into his association with the Sons. The residents of Charming, for the most part, didn’t think very highly of the biker group so he wanted to keep a lid on it for now.

 “Do you want to walk over to the park?” Juice asked, quickly changing the subject.

“Sure, that would be cool.  There are plenty of benches that we could find to sit and chat.”

He fell in beside her as they crossed the street.  He couldn’t help but glance over his shoulder to make sure he didn’t see any of his fellow brothers or associates of theirs. 

There were no baseball games that evening so there wasn’t a lot of activity going on.  A few people were playing on the swings and a few walking dogs.  She pointed to a couple benches, but he shook his head no.  Juice wanted to find a seat where they wouldn’t be easily spotted.  He knew if this ever went anywhere he’d have to tell her who he was, but it needed to wait for now.  There was this pull he kept feeling toward a sense of normalcy.  His life was anything but normal, but there was this part of him that wanted something normal in his life.  Abigail could be the beginning of that.

He saw a bench at the very back corner of the park. “Let’s go over there,” he suggested, pointing to what he found. He smiled at her as she followed alongside him to the isolated spot.

Juice watched as she plopped down beside him, letting her hair down. He watched mesmerized as bouncy curls cascaded down her shoulders.

“That’s a lot of curls,” he blurted then stopped when he realized how stupid that sounded.

She laughed. “Something I inherited from my dad’s side of the family.”

He asked her about her job at the copy shop which turned into her asking about his computer job.  He babbled on about computers, leaving out the part where he did a lot of illegal hacking, monitoring cameras and other things that were far from normal.

He discovered she was quite the sports fan.  He used to love playing and watching sports when he grew up.  Every now and again if he was the only one hanging in the clubhouse, he would turn on a game, grab a beer and enjoy something he did some time ago.

“So Abigail, what are you doing in Charming?” he asked with a smile. He was curious as to what brought a person to Charming. He had just ended up there by chance.