Chapter 11: Hurt

Everything FUCKING hurts.

Everything.

That was the first thing he thought. Second was the beeping sound going absolutely berserk, every beep felt like it was stabbing him in his head. 

He groaned. A guttural one, as if his throat hasn't received any water for the last year or so. He winced, trying to blink open his eyes. 

He felt like he was hit by a truck. 

A hand was suddenly holding his arm, it hurt. He groaned again, putting an effort into focusing his blurry vision towards the person. 

"Eli?" A voice hit his ears along with the annoying beeping sounds. 

He knew that voice. 

"Hey.. hey... It's okay. You're okay." 

He groaned again, his hand trying to grip the man but he was too weak to put some pressure in it. 

"It's okay. Do you want me to call Olivia? She just grabbed a coffee" 

"M-Ma-Mateo" he said, his voice sounds like a scratch on a gravel. It was rough and weak. He coughed. 

"I'll call the nurse, okay." Mateo said, starting to walk away.

"N-No." Eli said, his weak hands pulled Mateo slightly. He noticed that he have an IV inserted into  it. 

Mateo didn't say anything, but he stayed. Eli was confused, and scared. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK JUST HAPPENED? He was just in their living room and then there's this sudden blinding lights and then-

"Wh-What hap-happened?" He asked, clearing his throat after. He really needs water. 

"You were in a car accident with Luke. Don't you remember?" Mateo explained. His eyes looking at Eli with pity. Pity and concern, but not with fondness or love. No. 

No. no. no. no.

It all came crashing on Eli. 

NO.

This can't be it. Why did he have to wake up? Why did reality ruined his life?

No. 

Tears prickling in his eyes, he looked at Mateo. Silently begging him to look at him with love and passion. Begging him to say that everything is okay and that he loves him. 

But the boy looked at him with nothing but concern. 

"N-nooo." He said, tears flowing down his cheeks. He tried to sit up. Grabbing Mateo's arms. "Noooo. P-please noooo." 

Mateo was confused, his forehead scrunching. The beeping of the heart monitor rapidly increasing in pace. 

"Dude. It's okay. You're okay." He said and it made Eli cry harder. Dude? He just called him dude, like they were friends. 

"Nooo." He muttered again, his hand gripping Mateo so hard that his IV was forcefully pulled out from the back of his hand and it was now leaking some blood. 

Mateo yelled for the nurse. 

A rush of people in scrubs went in, all of them holding Eli. They were all yelling and grabbing him. But he couldn't focus on anything but on Mateo, as he exit the room. 

Olivia was there too, standing outside, a cup of coffee in her hands. A single tear fell from her eyes as Mateo hugged her, kissing her hair. 

And no. Just no. He can't see it. Doesn't want to see it. This isn't happening. No.

'No.' he thought as he succumbed to a dreamless sleep. 

The second time he woke up, he was more relaxed. His body numb from all the pain, it felt like he was flying. 

His eyes flicked open, the white walls welcoming his sight. The soft hum of the heart monitor hitting his ears once again.

"Hey. hey you're awake!" Olivia softly whispered. He felt a hand holding him but he couldn't quite feel it. He looked at her. Eyes groggy from sleep.

"The doctor said that you'll feel a little out of it, he gave you something for the pain." She said, her face close to him. And he really really didn't want to see her. Not right now. 

A tear fell from his eye, she quickly wiped it. Tears welling from her own.

"Please don't cry. If you cry then I'll cry." She said, caressing his face. 

"Don't ever do that again, Elijah Thompson. Don't ever scare me like that again. Do you hear me?" Her voice was quivering a little, tears flowed in her cheeks. Eli reached out to wipe it. 

He nodded at her. 

"I thought I lost you!" She said, her mouth set into a frown.

"me too." he mumbled, his voice still raspy. She shook her head. 

"L-luke?" 

"He's fine. He was reprimanded for driving under the influence but since he's still a minor they can't really do anything. Plus his dad is the mayor." She grumbled, eyebrows furrowing. "Your dad's very angry."

"My dad?" He asked, he can feel Olivia's thumb slightly caressing his hand.

"Yeah, I thought he was going to kill Luke. I was so scared." 

So his dad did care for him after all.

"Where is he?" he asked. 

"He's just outside, talking to the doctors. You were in a coma did you know?" 

He shook his head, gingerly. Nevertheless the headache still throbs in his head. 

"They put you in a 24 hour medically induced coma, but the doctors were so confused as to why you didn't woke up after that." She shifted slightly, focusing only at Eli.

"The doctors say that it was up to you, if you wanted to wake up or not." He doesn't. "I was so scared that you'll never wake up again." he wished he didn't. 

He closed his eyes as Olivia rests her head on his arms. 

"How long?" he asked. Olivia didn't answer. 

"How long was I out?" 

"Just a week." she mumbled, softly. her head never leaving his arms. Her hand softly playing with it. 

Just a week. Just a week? It was only just a week? But for Eli it felt like a year. A year of bliss. A year with his mother. A year with Mateo. 

It was a whole year for him but it was only a week for them?

He felt his eyes tearing again. 

Olivia whispered to him, trying to stop him from crying. But he couldn't understand anything.

Couldn't quite process how a week of his dreams made him happier than the whole of his life.

He wanted to go back, needed to dream again.

Or maybe to forget everything. To forget about his parents and to forget about Mateo.

Because he can't.

He just can't face him and not feel anything at all.

Because everything is seered into his mind.

Every touch. Every breath. Every kiss.

And everything fucking hurts again, but this time his heart was the one responsible.

This time it felt like someone ripped his heart out of his chest. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi.

I don't know anything about medical stuff. So please don't judge me.

I love you guys. ❤❤❤

-Clary