Chapter 28 : Let Us Be Free and Brave

Aside from a middle-aged lady in a semi-formal blouse and black jeans, There was no other passenger inside the train. 

Eli speculates the reason why she was here. Maybe she came from a very important meeting that ended way later than she anticipated and now she's on her way home or perhaps she came to hang out with her friends. She could also have a family and has a very scandalous affair. 

Eli's imagination ran wild. He wondered whether the lady also speculated about him and Mateo as she sat opposite them farther to their right. 

Does she think that they're drunkards on their way home? Or maybe a couple of friends that vandalizes the city walls? Does she think of them as a couple? 

Eli really wanted to know, wanted to hear her thoughts but the train buzzed with silence as the three of them sat. 

Mateo's eyes were a little tired and they were focused outside. Eli openly stared at him. He leaned the side of his head on the moist window and just stared at Mateo. Adoring every single thing about him. 

The scar on his eyebrow, his tired hooded eyes, the way he swallowed, the way he blinks. He adores the way he just exists besides him. 

Eli fought it, and he fought hard but he can't not do it. He reached his fingertips out to Mateo's face and pokes his cheek. Mateo didn't lean away from his touch and so he kept touching him. There was a ghost of a smile in Mateo's lips and Eli couldn't help but to smile back. 

He traces his nose, the scar in his eyebrows, his stubble, his neck. Then he traces him all the way to his hand. Tracing every single finger, all the way to his fingertips - and then to his palm. Mateo didn't retract his hand away but he stopped Eli. 

He stopped Eli by interlacing their fingers together and resting it atop his thighs. 

Eli's heart stammered. He remembered holding hands with Mateo in his dream and this was everything that he recalls and more. So much more. 

Mateo's thumb brushes at the back of his hand. They both have a secret smile on their faces and they stayed like that all through out the ride. Holding hands, One facing the window outside occasionally glancing at the other. While the other one was leaning on the window openly staring at the other. If the lady inside the bus could see them she'll assume that these two are in love - and she wouldn't be wrong. 

They got off the bus before the lady did and Eli stopped himself from greeting her and saying goodbye - it's just a polite thing to do but he thinks better of it and stayed quiet as they stepped into the station. 

"Care to say where we're going?" Eli tried to ask, knowing that Mateo won't answer him. The other boy only tucked his hands inside his jean jacket and gave him a cheeky grin. Eli sighed and rolled his eyes in exasperation. 

Eli was breathless when they finally reached their destination. They walked through muddy and rough terrain. Trees and shrubberies were the only thing they could see for a while. When he asks Mateo where they're going for the nth time, the boy only muttered a 'You'll know when you see it. Trust me.' 

Mateo isn't lying when he said that. 

In just a little bit further away, there was an alcove within the thick trees, the sparkling waters welcoming just beyond it. 

Eli mouth dropped in awe of the place. It was a magical spot. The trees, the lake that was illuminated by the moon, the moon hang way above, the rushing of the water, the sound of the crickets and cicadas. It was magical. 

"How do you know about this place?" Eli asked, his eyes still looking around. He touched a single leaf leaning down from the trees. 

"My uncle. This was his hiding spot, then when he got older he showed it to me." Mateo said. He was leaning on a tree. Just observing Eli as he looked around.