Chapter 4: A New Old Friend

Two weeks into living in this faux universe, Eli could safely say that this Mateo is literally the most happy-go-lucky person he'd ever met.

Everything is just puppies and rainbows when he's around. And it annoyed Eli to no end, because no person should ever be that happy. EVER.

He glared at Mateo, who's laying in his front, his feet up while he's pretending to read a book. Eli beside him sitting, his feet criss-crossed studying for his Algebra test.

Both of them enjoying the sunlight, while studying in the freshly mowed grass in the makeshift park outside their school.

A lot of students also laying in the grass, some reading, others sleeping, and most talking within themselves.

Mateo looked up at him beneath the book he was reading, and flashed him his famous bright smile which Eli has come to be familiar with.

Day by day, Eli realizes, he's looking more like the sun. From his golden brown irises, to his sun-kissed skin, to his warm bright smile, and all the way to his infectious energy that resembles the bright sun (and a puppy).

"I've decided!" Mateo remarked, closing his book. "I don't wanna study anymore."

Eli didn't looked up from his book, his fingers tracing the pages.

"Then don't." Eli sighed, not caring about the man child in front of him.

"But I want you to not study with me." Mateo said, his voice resembling a toddler who wants new toys. His hands gently tugging at Eli's shoes.

"If you want to fail, Mateo, that's your choice. Now, let me be in peace." Eli flipped through the pages, his eyes skimming the Pythagorean theorem.

"But I want a cuddle!" He demanded, Eli rolled his eyes at this.

He wouldn't lie, they may have cuddled a couple of times in Eli's room after dinner. All wrapped up in his blanket, Mateo's hands on his side, his head on Mateo's chest as they talk about nonsense.

Sometimes they don't talk at all, they're just there, breathing in silence.

And Eli (being only human) actually liked it, Mateo is a great cuddler, and the warmth he gives is just enough to make Eli contented.

But it never go far from that, and he's really thankful that the boy didn't ask him anything further than a couple of kisses in the cheeks and in the forehead, an occasional peck, sure, but never more than that.

I mean it's not like their cheating on Olivia, in this world they're not really together. But Eli is not comfortable enough to go further than that. He already feels guilty about cuddling with Olivia's boyfriend in his mind let alone do anything nasty.

"In here? In public? Really?" Eli gave him a deadpanned look. Taking Mateo's hand which traveled all the way to his thighs and placing them back in to the grass.

Mateo groaned. "But no one cares, literally no one is paying us any attention." Mateo mumbled pulling a pout in his face.

Eli squinted his eyes at the pouting boy, shaking his head gingerly.

"Still no."

"But"

"No"

"I jus-"

"No"

"Fine" Mateo gave up and laid on the grass in his back. His eyes shut as his forehead were scrunched. His arms crossed together. Eli smiled, laughing slightly at the pouting man child.

'This guy I swear...' he thought.

While he was still reading the book, his hands slowly made their way towards Mateo's curls, he knew Mateo loves it whenever he plays with his curls.