Chapter 5: Date Night

"But it's date night."

Mateo groaned, flopping himself in Eli's bed, while Eli shuffled through his bag, looking for his laptop and notebook.

"Can we not be the kind of couple who have date nights? Jesus fuck, it's not like we're married." Eli said, standing near his study table, back turned to Mateo.

"Well, not yet... but..." Mateo mumbled behind him. Eli turned around to question him but his mind completely shut off when he found him kneeling in one knee. Eyes looking up at Eli.

"That's not funny." Eli said after his shock comes down. Rolling his eyes at him, he strolled to the other side of the room, putting his wallet inside his bag. 

Mateo groaned again, rubbing his hands in his face and lazily followed Eli. His steps trudging into the carpeted floor. 

"But it's not fair! Ever since you met her, you always spend time with her and not me!" 

Mateo embraced Eli from behind, tightly gripping his stomach. His brown curls tickling Eli's face. He sighed and closed his eyes, tired of dealing with Mateo's drama. He tried to squirm out of the embrace but he just wouldn't budge.

"But it's for my project." Eli mumbled, relaxing into the embrace. His body familiar with Mateo's already.

Comfortable with the closeness and the warmth it gives. Eli never imagined that having a boyfriend is closely akin to raising a child. 

Mateo kissed the exposed skin between his neck and shoulders and Eli shuddered involuntarily. Squirming from his touch again. 

"Please don't do that." he said, Mateo finally lets go of him. As he pays attention to the man behind him, he saw that it was once again pouting. He pushed his lips with his pointer finger. 

"You should know by now that that kind of theatrics does not bother me nor persuade me in any way." 

Mateo kept pouting, following Eli around his room as he put everything he needs inside his bag. 

"But it's date night." Mateo said yet again, voice feigning naivety and innocence.

Eli sighed knowing that he wouldn't stop until he gets what he wants. 

"Fine, let's have date night. but I'll have to meet Olivia first. I can't cancel on her." 

Mateo groaned again. "But-"

"No buts. You have to meet her one way or the other. She's my friend. You'll love her." Eli said, his thoughts fleeting to Olivia and Mateo, the real Olivia and Mateo, the way they would laugh with each other, the way they talked about nonsense for hours while Eli sat beside them trying not to look like the miserable third-wheel that he is.

"I'm sure of it." He mumbled the last part.

The pizza place was buzzing with customers when they showed up. The smell of grease and freshly-baked pizza hitting their noses once they entered. 

They sat near the big glass windows, Eli sitting on the inside while Mateo sat beside him. Olivia texted that she would be there soon, and so they ordered for her. 

"I must say you look ravishing tonight." Mateo whispered in his ear. He smiled, flattered by the compliment.

Eli must admit that he felt rather good in his outfit, his striped button down shirt tucked into denim jeans. He never get to dress up nice, in the real world, they never had the money for Eli to buy new clothes.

So he definitely takes the opportunity to waste some money for good quality clothes here.

"Oh, stop it. Like you did not dress up for me too." Eli shrugged Mateo's arm that made its way to his shoulders.