Chapter 10: Golden

This chapter is for GizelleRuffin for making my birthday extra duper special! Thank you so much!
GizelleRuffin

I love you so much! ❤

-Clary

-----------------------------------------------------------

Eli is surrounded by the color red and he hates it.

It is all over their school, in the hallway, in their classroom. Adorning their lockers. It's everywhere.

Heart shaped papers, along with quotations like 'Love is in the air' or 'All you need is love' are taped into the walls.

Eli absolutely despise Valentine's day, not because of the saint, because he's sure he's a great guy but because of the sentiment of the day.

Everyone is lovey-dovey and making out in every corner of the hallway, roses and chocolates were being passed around and maybe Eli is a little bit bitter before because no one ever gave him anything on Valentine's but he wouldn't say that out loud.

"Hey. You ready?"

Eli turned around to look at Olivia behind him, her arms crossed together and she's wearing the biggest smile Eli had ever seen.

Eli furrowed his eyebrows. He closed his locker door and started walking down the hallway, Olivia right in his heel.

"Ready for what?" He asked, confused.

"It's a secret!" Olivia cheerfully wrapped her hands around Eli's arm. Confusing him even more.

"Okaaaayyy.. You're awfully cheerful aren't you?"

"It's because I'm on a mission." She said as she dragged him all the way to the parking lot.

"All right get in." She said, opening Eli's car door for him. He furrowed his eyebrows again.

"Did Mateo put you up to this?" He asked, already having a hunch about this. It is Valentine's after all.

"My mouth is.." she said proceeding to zip her mouth. Then she walked around the car and plopped down in the driver's seat.

"Do you even know how to drive?"

"A little. Now shut up." She commanded, turning the ignition.

The car ride was silent. Olivia was in her own head looking as if she's trying to remember the way to their destination. Eli didn't ask her anything.

He enjoyed the soft hum of the music in the radio and the soft breeze of the wind hitting his face. Observing the passing trees and the occasional couple walking hand in hand.

He had noticed that the more they drive, the less people are loitering around. Fields of green surrounds them in both sides. Where are they?

"You mind telling me where we're going?" he tried asking.

"Nope." She said, popping the 'p' sound and not even bothering to look at his direction.

He just scoffed then looked at the window once more. The greenery were slowly turning into yellow field as sunflowers bloom. His eyes never leaving the mesmerizing colors of the flower as they danced with the breeze.

The car came to a stop. Eli looked around but he saw nothing but fields and fields of sunflowers.

"We're here." Olivia announced, opening the car door and so he did the same. The smell of fresh grass hitting his nose, calming him.