16 - The Bad Guys

"Fantastic work, little friend!" Ultraviolet cackled as she ruffled the teenager's hair. After just a few minutes of speedily driving down the dark roads, the four of them hopped outside the van and into the abandoned factory, the Orb of Distrust now in Killow's hands.

"Oh, so you're gonna give the runt all the credit?" Fugidove blurted, following them into the dull dusty building. "Anyone could fake a stab in a shoulder! Creating a true distraction like that was NOT easy!"

"We know, Fugidove." Killow sighed. "That's why we gave the job to you!"

The two SOG members laughed maliciously. Hector followed them inside with his hands stiffly in his pockets until they all stopped at a corner of the machinery room. The tall thin windows on the wall were foggy, but the pitter-patter of rain echoed from its glass.

Ultraviolet looked over to Hector, who went over to lean against the concrete wall just a few steps away.

"Oh, why the long face, sweetheart?" She taunted, edging closer to the boy to play with his hair again

"Oh, why the long face, sweetheart?" She taunted, edging closer to the boy to play with his hair again. "You did just fine! Those ninja blindly let you in on their little quest, and you helped us get what we needed!"

He shook her off and turned his head away, deep in thought.

At that moment, Killow pulled out a wad of cash from his pocket and handed it to Fugidove.

"There. A deal's a deal." The big man said monotonously. Fugidove flicked through the money then looked up at the huge criminal with a straight face.

"Nice doing business with you. Except...."

"What is it?" Killow bellowed, a hint of impatience in his voice.

"You never explained why you had me and the boy do all this... I mean, I certainly do NOT want another stay in Kryptarium.."

Killow looked at Ultraviolet for a second. She nodded slowly, then allowed the big man to explain.

"Fine. But let's get one thing straight; none of us will be going to that drab old prison anytime soon!" He chuckled in a low tone.

"How can you be so sure?" Hector finally spoke up from his distance. "I mean, a man died because of all this."

"Nuh-uh-uh, dear- " Ultraviolet piped in. In the middle of the group stood a rather large metal device, covered in a dingy tarp. She pulled off the fabric to reveal the machine. It was built in the form of a gateway, with four rods sticking out of its structure, each with a holder at the ends. Engraved on the metal surface of the machine was the symbol the ninja discovered; four circles.

UV grabbed the Orb of Pain, the one Dr Xavier was studying, from the metal device's holder.

"That smartass Dr Xavier really died because of this. None of us laid a hand on him - all we did is sneakily take the Orb after he had unfortunately killed himself!" The woman cackled in a low tone.

Hector raised his eyebrows at the statement. He thought about it for a moment, and realised they had a point. The truth was, Dr Xavier wasn't murdered - it just appeared that way. Turns out, the Orb of Pain had the ability to draw out one's innermost pains, causing them to potentially do something harmful. Unfortunately for Dr Orion Xavier, it had went too far.

"What do you even need them for?" The agitated teenager questioned, leaning against the concrete with his arms still crossed.

"I'll tell you why." Killow spoke. "You see, Ultraviolet and I aren't exactly from... this Ninjago City. We need to get back to our Ninjago City to take care of some very important business. To do that, we need all four Orbs of Negativity within one system." He patted the device with his huge hand.

Fugidove and Hector glared at each other for a second.

"What sorta business?" The bird man piped in again.

"Haha, we aren't ready to disclose that just yet." The crazy woman chuckled sinisterly. "Now, both of your jobs here are done - scram!"

Fugidove shrugged, stuck the cash in his pocket and swiftly went for the exit, however, Hector stayed put. It took a few seconds for the two SOG to realise he was still there, watching them fiddle with the four artefacts and the machine, in an attempt to finish up on its structure.

"I hope you haven't forgotten our deal." The teenager spoke up. "I helped keep the coast clear so you could get into the Dr's apartment, I helped spy on the ninja for you and I helped get the last Orb. So can you please--"

"Ah. Now, about that special 'deal'..." Killow stepped away from his work on the device and approached the boy, towering over him in a terrifying manner.

"Don't think you can outsmart us, Hector." He grumbled in a serious tone. "Ultraviolet and I have worked incredibly hard for this ever since The Quiet One was killed and our group fell apart. And we believe there's a slight chance you might sell us out."

Hector was silenced. His cold hands curled into fists.

"Don't even try to deny it." Ultraviolet joined in, her jet black ponytail swishing around as she turned to them. "I hope you're aware of the consequences if you try and go back to your precious high-school friend and ruin what may be the most important event for us. What's that brat's name anyway? Juniper?"

"It's Jupiter. And she...she'll stop you anyway. All of the ninja will. This isn't right." Hector affirmed.

Malicious laughter from the pair of criminals filled the airy space of the factory.

"Says the boy who got himself into this situation, and agreed to the task." Ultraviolet raised a condescending eyebrow before turning back to the machine. 

"Go home, Hector." Killow finalised, tightly clutching the collar of the boy's bloody shirt and lifting him up just a few feet from the ground.

"Or I will send the thugs from the ceremony after you next."

He let go of the teenager promptly; Hector dropped to the cold floor and glared at them once more before trudging slowly out of the factory.