Ethan's POV-First day of middle school-Part 2

Start from the beginning

"And trust me, you have no idea how annoying I can get." 

I narrowed my eyes at him and gave him a long look. We engaged in a minute-long staring contest, with neither of us saying a word. There was a threatening spark in his eyes, which I just didn't trust. I knew he had every intention of delivering through on his promise. 

"Okay, fine, whatever, you win," I grumbled. 

A massive grin broke out onto his face. "Yay, that's my guy," he said as he held out his hand for a hive-five. 

I didn't return, and his hand was just awkwardly left up in the air. 

"Well, that was slightly awkward....," he laughed as he slowly lowered his hand back down again.

 I tried to stifle a laugh, not wanting him to think that I thought he was funny. Maybe if he didn't like me, he'd get bored and leave me alone. I broke my gaze from him and took a glance around the rest of the playground. 

Then I spotted her, the beautiful Mia Collins. She was sat on the far side of the field in a small circle with two other girls. 

 She looked happy. She was laughing, and smiling, and making weird goofy faces as though she was telling a funny story.

 If I was the same boy, I was a couple of months ago, I would have marched up to her and introduced myself. I might have told a joke or maybe even flirted. 

Suddenly a hand started waving around in front of my face. "Hello, earth to Ethan?" A voice sang.

 "Hey, what, w-what's going on?" I stuttered as I pulled myself out of my daydream and focused my attention back on Lucas.

 He laughed so hard his eyes started to crinkle up at the corners. "You really like Mia, huh?" he smiled. I felt my heart drop.

 I frowned and shook my head. "Of course not, no," I lied. 

Please buy it, please, please buy it.

"Then what was up with those love notes in class this morning?" he snorted. I felt my face warm up slightly. 

"They weren't love notes," I mumbled. 

But god, did I wish they were. 

"Weren't love notes, really? Let's see about that lover boy," he teased. 

Then before I could fathom a guess about what he was going to do, his hand lunged towards my notebook and snatched a paper from between the pages. 

"Hey! "I yelled as I reached out to grab it back. He shuffled away from me with a laugh. 

"Jesus Christ, what on earth is this!" he cried as his eyes scanned over the paper. He flipped the paper round and held it up. I widened my eyes in horror as I found myself looking back at my cartoon drowning of Mia. 

Well, this wasn't good...

I just stared at him in silence, hoping that the picture would just magically disappear. 

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Okay fine, you got me. I might have a small little thing for her," I admitted stiffly. 

"Small little thing?" he scoffed. "You've literally branded her as your future wife," he laughed.

 I rolled my eyes. "Alright, a big thing then," I snapped.

 He smirked, and his eyes seemed to spark with an idea. "Don't worry, man, I've got your back. I'll go over there, and you big you up," he said as he started to push himself off the floor.