Chapter 60

Warning: This chapter has scenes of violence and assault if this is triggering for you to read stop at *

-------------------------------------------------------

Water, of course. I'm such an idiot. How did I not think of that? He clearly had the symptoms of dehydration. He had a headache and was delirious; it was so painfully obvious. 

Thank God Connor wasn't as stupid as I was.

 I threw the door open to the kitchen and started frantically throwing cupboards open at random as I tried to find some cups. Finally locating them, I picked the largest one and rushed over to the sink and filled it up.

 I was almost out the door before I let out a squeal of surprise as I almost slammed into someone. It was Lucas. 

"Oh, there you are, Mia. I was looking for you. Where's Ethan? I thought he would be with you." Lucas asked in confusion. 

"Connor's taking him upstairs; he's sick. I just came in here to get him some water," I explained as I gestured to the glass in my hand.

 Lucas' eyebrows scrunched up in concern. "He's sick? Why?"

"Connor reckons he's dehydrated," I shrugged.

 Lucas scoffed. "Dehydrated? I've literally seen him glugging down water all day. That doesn't make any sense!" He frowned. 

"It is kind of hot today, and he was running around a lot," I weakly justified. 

Lucas didn't look at all too convinced. "Don't worry, I'll figure it out," he murmured. "You just go upstairs and find him, and I'll be up in a few minutes." Lucas patted me on the back before heading out of the kitchen,

As soon as he was gone, I rushed up the stairs with the glass of water in hand. I made it to the upper landing of the house where I assumed he had taken him. 

"Connor?" I called out into the empty hallway.

 I wasn't sure which room he had taken him to since all the doors were closed. Suddenly, a door swung open. 

"Mia, come, he's in here," Connor said as he waved me over to him. I ran past him and entered through the door, desperate to see if Ethan was still okay and conscious. 

As soon as I entered the room, I stopped abruptly in my tracks as I found myself staring at an empty bed with no Ethan in sight. 

I swerved around to face Connor. "Where's Ethan?" I asked in confusion. 

 He just completely ignored me and closed and locked the door behind him. He turned around to face me, with an amused smirk stretched out on to his face.

 "Where's Ethan?" I repeated, more forcefully this time. 

"In another room," he said bluntly as he stared at me with a creepily still gaze. 

"And you didn't take me there because...," I drawled out, hoping he would explain his weird behavior. 

 "He's busy," Connor said simply. The corners of his lips twitched as he said this as though he had just said something funny. 

"You know what, I haven't even got time for this shit," I snapped as I pushed past him and headed for the door.

*

Before I even had a chance to so much as touch the door, he snatched my wrist, span me around, and slammed me hard against the surface of the door.

 I winced as the back of my head knocked against the hardwood. The shock of the impact caused the glass of water in my hand to slip from my grasp and smash onto the floor. My eyes widened in fear, not knowing what to do or say. I could feel my heart beating incredibly fast in my chest as his bulky frame towered over me.