Chapter 17

I elbowed people out of the way, desperate to get to the school cafeteria. I was so incredibly hangry, that all it would take was someone to look at me the wrong way and I would probably bite their head off. 

I swore under my breath as I turned a corner and saw a ginormous crowd of students in front of me blocking my way to the cafeteria. 

As I got closer, I could hear a few rowdy jocks chanting "Fight, fight, fight," egging on whoever was in the middle of the chaotic mass of people. 

 "Seriously another fight," I muttered under my breath in annoyance. This was the third one this week, our school was honestly a joke. The teachers didn't give a shit and if they saw a fight they would just swerve around in the opposite direction and pretend they didn't see it.

 I stomped my foot down in frustration, knowing I was going to have to walk the long way around school as there is no way I was going to walk through the fight and get myself killed.

Don't get me wrong, I like to watch idiots try and beat each other up as much as the next person, but not when it got between me and my food.

However, my curiosity was nagging at me and I wanted to see who the fight was between. An advantage of being quite small meant that I was able to maneuver my way through the spaces people had left to eventually make it close enough that I could see. 

I looked on the floor and saw a football player called Connor, lying beaten and bruised on the floor. Blood was gushing profusely from his nose and the skin around his eye had gone all cracked and purple. 

I was surprised that someone like Connor such a hefty and meaty frame could lose so badly in a fight. My eyes then drew in curiosity to the guy kneeling over him. My view of him was obscured and all I could see was the back of his head which was decorated with a mass of dark brown hair.

 I squeezed passed a few more people, so I could get a better angle of his face. My eyes widened in horror, when I realized, it wasn't just some guy.

 It was Ethan.

I was so shocked; I couldn't even move. I just watched uselessly, as Ethan delivered plow after plow to Connor's face. Every violent thrust of his fist seemed powered with so much hatred.

 With so much anger. 

I saw Connor laugh manically on the floor on the floor like some kind of lunatic as though he was enjoying seeing Ethan like this. With no control. 

"You're a joke, Ethan. You thought you were getting better, huh? But you're not. You're always going to be a violent piece of shit; you're always going to be like him." Connor sneered as blood dripped from between his malicious grin.

 I saw Ethan flinch slightly as though the words hurt as much as a physical impact. Soon enough, his jaw clenched, and his gaze hardened upon Connor. The normal playful light that normally danced in his eyes was nowhere in sight and all I saw was a stranger. 

An unfeeling stranger.

 As Ethan continued to hit at him, I noticed Connor's body was becoming increasingly more motionless and he didn't even look strong enough to fight back anymore. I felt sick. 

"Ethan, what the fuck are you doing?" I screamed out at him, not able to take a second more of watching the violence. 

Ethan stopped midway through his next punch and slowly lowered his fists. His eyes immediately darted to meet mine. As soon as he saw me a look of immense guilt and pain swept over his face. 

He then looked back at Connor and let out a weird choking sound and slowly shook his head, his breaths coming out deep and ragged. Then without another word, he stood up and shoved a few people out the way so he could make his way through the crowd