Chapter Nineteen

Noah's POV
The sun beat down on me as I walked to practice. I carried my shoulder pads in my hand as I walked towards the football field with Shawn. His backpack hung from his arm as he stuffed a book into the opening.

"You don't have to watch me practice," I said with a grin as he zipped up his backpack and threw it over his shoulder.

"I don't have to be your friend either but I'm doing it anyway," he smirked and I rolled my eyes. "Besides, I've got nothing better to do."

I laughed and walked onto the field. Practice hadn't officially started yet but that didn't stop my teammates from passing the ball around.

Shawn put his hands on his hips and groaned. "There's too many young, tan, healthy people here. I don't like it."

"You're just upset that you're pasty," I chuckled.

"We live in Miami! I should not be this pale right now!"

I laughed and slipped my shoulder pads over my head. I clasped the strap and clipped it to the front, then pulled it tight.

I looked across the field where the cheerleaders were and smiled. Camila was standing next to her friends. She laughed at something Normani said then looked my way. My heart burst like a firework when she smiled at me.

A cocky laugh interrupted my view and I turned my head. Jack and Brad were walking onto the field together. My hand instinctively clenched into a fist and I watched Brad put on his gear. After hearing what he did to Lauren I was beginning to get eager for an argument with him, just something to give me a reason to hit him.

"I hate that guy," Shawn mumbled.

My eyes widened when I realized Shawn was reacting the same way I was. His hands were in fists and he had a mean expression on his face, his eyes trained on Brad.

That's when it hit me. I had my suspicions Shawn had a thing for Lauren, but seeing him get upset by merely seeing Brad was enough proof to solidify them. Even when Jack and Brad threw a football at him he wasn't as upset as he looked now.

"Brad?" I asked.

He growled. "He's such a jerk."

I nodded. "Both of them."

The whistle blew and Tanner walked onto the field. Shawn went up to the bleachers to watch and we began running warm-ups to prepare us for practice. I knew today was going to be a long one. Tomorrow was the first game of the season which meant this was our last practice before we had to play.

And Tanner pushed us hard. By the time practice was over, every muscle in my body was aching. Especially since he made us run suicides which, I soon figured out, were named properly.

Shawn met me by my bag when we were finally allowed to go home. He handed me my water and I chugged the bottle like I hadn't had a drop in my life.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead and glanced over where the cheerleaders were. They had finished practice as well and, like he always does, Jack had gone over to hug and kiss Camila. But this time things seemed different.

Camila's arms were crossed and she wouldn't let Jack touch her, no matter how much he tried. Jack, in return, was getting more and more frustrated.

"I wonder what that's about," Shawn said as he watched them.

"Yeah," I said. I took my shoulder pads off and began to walk back to the school, which meant I had to pass the cheerleaders.

"How do you think that makes me feel?" Camila yelled.