Chapter Eleven

Noah's POV
"I'm telling you, Noah," Shawn said as he leaned against his locker. "Dumbledore was actually a time-traveling Ron Weasley."

I furrowed my brow and pulled my history book out of my locker. "That doesn't make any sense."

"No, no. Think about it. How else would he always know what they were up to?" His eyes were wide like he thought through every possible counter someone could throw at his theory.

"Woah," I said, pausing to think about it. "You might be right."

"Of course I'm right!" He laughed. "I know everything there is to know about Harry Potter."

I chuckled and closed my locker, and that's when I saw Camila. She was at her locker grabbing her textbooks. I didn't know if I was grateful or annoyed that our lockers were so close to each other, but at this moment, I didn't want to stop looking at her.

I couldn't help but think about yesterday. So much had happened between us which then led to so many unanswered questions. Like why was she suddenly being nice to me? Or better yet, acknowledging my presence? It all seemed so out of character for her.

She closed her locker and glanced back at me. My eyes widened and she gave me a small smile. I felt blood rush to my cheeks and I smiled back. It was, after all, the polite thing to do.

"I saw that!" Shawn gasped, pulling my eyes from Camila. "You've got a thing for the Ice Queen!"

"No, I don't," I said, but it was too late. His mind was made up.

"You two would be so cute together. Plus, if you melt her heart, you'll just save all the villagers!"

"Keep your voice down," I said, lowering mine as well. The last thing I needed was for someone to think I'm into my host-sister. "It was just a smile."

"Yeah, but an action speaks louder than words." He grinned and I rolled my eyes.

"Just don't say anything to anyone, okay?"

He laughed. "Right, cause I'm the kind of guy who actually talks to people."

I let out a breath of relief and glanced back at Camila. She was talking to a boy I hadn't seen before. He was tall and skinny with a mess of curly brown hair that flopped when his head shook. Camila laughed at something he said then walked over to where I was.

"Hey, Noah," she said with a sweet smile. "Hey, Shawn."

Both of our eyes went wide. Camila Cabello was talking to me—to us—in school. Shawn didn't do anything but stare. I wondered if this was the first time Camila had actually talked to him.

"Camila, hi," I finally said, glancing at Shawn who was still silent. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, well, um, we both have history so I was thinking maybe we could walk together." She shrugged.

"Yeah! Yeah, we can definitely do that," I said. She smiled and I said goodbye to Shawn who still hadn't said a word. I think this was the longest he's ever gone without talking.

"Is your friend okay?" she asked as we rounded the hall to the staircase.

"Who? Shawn? Oh, he's fine." I smiled. I didn't exactly know what we were supposed to talk about on this little walk. But it seemed like Camila had something in mind.

"I think I figured you out," she said, glancing at me.

A smile spread across my face as she said this. I didn't quite think there was anything about me to figure out, which made this even more interesting.