Chapter Sixteen

Začít od začátku

When I got to the room, I set my backpack on the floor and took a seat on the piano bench. I slid my fingers across the keys, running through a quick warm-up exercise, then began to play the song I would be auditioning with. I chose to play "Clair De Lune" by Debussy.

I ran through the song and smiled. I loved playing the piano. It relaxes me in a way that nothing else can. I closed my eyes and began to run through it again.

I pressed down on the keys and played through the first few measures, then a voice interrupted me. "What song were you just playing?"

I opened my eyes and saw Camila standing in the doorway. Her arms were crossed and she was smiling at me.

"'Clair De Lune'," I said. "I have to audition with an impressionist piece."

She walked over to the piano and sat next to me on the bench, which was only big enough for one person to sit comfortably. I felt blood rush to my cheeks as she leaned close to me. I could smell her coconut scented shampoo and see the gentle curls in her hair.

In one swift motion she flipped her hair back and looked into my eyes. She smiled at me and looked back at my sheet music.

"Will you play me a song?" she asked with wide innocent eyes. Like she had no idea the effect she has on me.

I nodded and looked down at the keys. I started to play the introduction to "What A Beautiful World." I softly sang along to the first verse, feeling the music flow through me. It was such a beautiful song, both the music and the lyrics.

Then the world stopped.

Camila had started to sing. It was soft at first, but raw and passionate. I didn't know how I managed to continue to play when I heard her voice. It was remarkable.

I played to the end of the song then looked at her. Her cheeks were flushed and she was staring at the keys.

"Wow," I whispered, pulling her attention up to me. "That was . . . astounding. I didn't know you could sing like that."

Camila blushed a deeper red. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "That was, um, kind of my first time singing in front of anyone."

My eyes went wide. She could become famous with a voice like that. "Have you ever considered joining the choir?"

She laughed. "I'm not really sure if performing is my kind of thing."

I smiled at her. "It could be. Trust me, I grew up performing. I know when someone has what it takes to be good." I laughed. "I also know when someone definitely does not." She smiled. "Plus, if you join choir, we could spend more time together. I'm the accompanist for the choir so I'd be with you whenever you sing."

She bit her lip. "I would like that."

I felt my cheeks blush as I looked at her. At one point we had stopped talking and just looked into the other's eyes. I seemed to lose track of time as I studied her gorgeous brown eyes. We were close enough that if I leaned in, I could kiss her. And for a moment, I considered it.

"Noah, you will not believe what I just overheard," Shawn said, bursting through the door with his lunch bag.

Camila turned her head and smiled at Shawn. His face turned bright red when he saw her and his eyes grew wider. "Hey, Shawn."

"Camila Cabello, you're here," he said the words fast. His eyes darted to me and he shook his head. "I'm so sorry if I interrupted anything, I can go."

I shook my head. "You didn't interrupt anything."

"I should probably get going anyway," Camila said. "Jack wants me to have lunch with him."

She walked to the door and turned around, giving me a sweet smile before closing the door and heading down the hall.

Shawn's grin spread across his face as he looked at me. "What did I walk in on?"

I rolled my eyes. "I was just showing her a song."

He smirked. "Uh-huh."

"Whatever, dude." I laughed. "Are you still able to drive me to my audition?"

"Hell yeah," he said. He pulled the fourth Harry Potter book out of his backpack. "I've never been more prepared."

I grinned. "You're already on the fourth, that's impressive."

"These books are like the love of my life," he said, sitting down on a seat next to a cello. "Speaking of love, I overheard one of the softball players talking about how hot you are."

I laughed. "Are you sure they were talking about me?"

"Of course I'm sure," he said. "Her name is Becky and pretty much every guy in school has asked her out but she never says yes cause she's, like, hella picky. But she likes you!"

I paused and thought about it. Ideally, the girl I would want to go out with is Camila, but it doesn't seem like that's ever going to happen. She already has a boyfriend, and even if they were to break up, it's not like her parents would let us date.

I nodded and looked at Shawn. "Huh."