Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

Ratchet woke quickly after halfway through his nightmare. He panted a bit, shuddering as he felt sweaty and clammy. He looked to Jack hearing his scream and stood, jittering as he pushed back his hair from his forehead. He began shushing him gently, trying to wake him. The old doctor frowned deeply as he wiped away his tears worriedly.

The young man sobbed silently as he panted and struggled to breathe. He gasped as he woke up and looked at him, panting. He closed his eyes and sobbed, then shook his head. "I'm sorry..." he choked. "I'm sorry..."

The doctor took a seat on the edge of the bed and took his face gently in his old wrinkly hands. "Don't be sorry, Jack." He muttered, looking at him seriously and with concern. "You're safe here. Everyone is fine. It was only a nightmare." He began trying to reassure.

He nodded slowly and looked to the window then at him. "I... I know... I just... I need to... know they are safe... my mother too..." he rasped quietly. 

He frowned deeply at hearing his words, his heart dropping. He couldn't provide assurance that June was alright knowing the possibility of her being held at Darkmount. "You couldn't do much about anything right now anyway Jack, it's best not to dwell on if they are safe or not. Miko said she is coming and you know how determined and stubborn your wife is." Ratchet then let himself snort and removed his hands from his face. "They are coming. You just need to trust it."

He nodded and smiled a little as he sighed forcefully. "I know..." he whispered quietly. "I can't wait to see her... it's been too long... and my boys..." he trailed off as he thought of his daughter. She wasn't with anyone. 

Ratchet frowned as he listened to him. He looked away. "Jack... will you be alright if I leave you for a few hours? I'm sure Miko won't know to go there. I should go check the house... the hospital..." he murmured to him, thinking of Skye as well. He hoped she was back and not panicking. 

Jack stared at him and knew what he was hoping to accomplish. He nodded slowly as he gripped his hand. He was silently afraid to be alone but didn't say anything. "Go... I'll be alright..." he whispered quietly. "She'll need you..."

The doctor studied him silently, unsure now. "Are... you certain? I can stay if you need me to." he said quietly, frowning as he gently curled his fingers around the hand that gripped his own.

"No... it's okay... I'll be fine..." he whispered quietly as he watched him. "Skye will need you if she's home..." he trailed off and an image of her dead on the surface entered his mind.

Ratchet nodded a bit and began standing as his joints popped. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Try to relax, alright?" The doctor suggested. He began leaving quickly, rushing down the halls to go to his apartment. Jack watched him go and closed his eyes. He sighed shakily as he thought and listened to the man leave. Hoping his daughter was okay.

The old man ran up the stairs, gripping the railing as his knees ached with each step. He opened the door and began searching around, calling for Skye. He didn't hear anything from the young woman. He searched the house and Raf looked at him. "Ratchet?" He said as he looked at him and followed. 

The doctor frowned deeply. "No time, I need to find Skye." He spoke seriously, rushing out of the apartment and running to the hospital, a bit out of breath. The old man was getting very worried very fast.

Rafael frowned deeply and looked at him then at his wife. "I have to help him." He whispered quietly. "I'm afraid he might hurt himself..."

Sari looked at him tiredly. "Go ahead sweetheart... we will be fine here." She said calmly and she looked to her daughter by her side then back to her husband.