Chapter 4: School Days

George hated his dad's car. He especially hated being seen getting out of it. He preferred to walk to school but today his dad insisted for some reason. He sighed after returning his father's "I love you" and shut the car door.
He winced as the old ugly brown thing cranked away and turned toward the school doors, ignoring any stares.
The halls were a little difficult to navigate, especially because George was shorter than most of the other kids.
Average height. They're just tall.
After a few years of high school the ebb and flow of traffic became familiar to him and he could usually get along fine if he stayed low and out of people's way.

"Hey Runt!"

Apparently not today.

"Oh come on, you heard me."

Of course I did. I just don't want to, that's all.

"Come on, turn around. Face me"

Don't want to do that either.
But he knew that voice, and it wasn't one to be ignored.
George felt his bookbag sag with his hopes of getting to class early as he turned to the figure lounging against the lockers behind him.

Technoblade.

No one dares call him Dave.

"The Boar" earned his name on the soccer field in middle school and he's been known as Technoblade ever since, for some reason. He's neither tech-savvy nor blade-wielding.
The boar is a much better fit; he's animal-like.
Aggressive, tough, like a thug.

"Aren't you going to say hello?"

George just glared at him before moving his gaze to the floor.

Unsettlingly, Techno just laughed at this. A loud cackle that set George's nerves on edge and made his whole body tense up.

"Come here" he said with a smirk.

George unwillingly took a few steps forward but stopped out of arm's reach.
The other students moved past and paid no mind.
As usual.

Techno made up the distance between them and leaned down into George's face.
"Hungry for lunch today, Runt?"

George internally cringed but stared into his eyes, like he preferred. It didn't take a genius to figure out where Techno was heading with this.
Techno rolled his eyes and leaned back but still stayed too close for comfort.
"It's potatoes. God, I hate them"

He returned his gaze to George.
"You were planning to have some weren't you?"
"Jesus Christ, say something!"

George opened his mouth but was interrupted by a wolf-whistle.

Who did that?

The question was answered a second later when Techno pulled out his phone. A text tone.

What a weird choice.

Techno read the text then stopped to consider George again. He tried not to squirm under his gaze.

After a second he shoved George back and sauntered off, calling "You're lucky I'm in a good mood today, and I've got other things to do."

George stared in surprise at his Techno's back, but quickly turned around and continued in the opposite direction, pleased with his sudden luck.

>>>
<<<

Clay exhaled as he stepped onto the bus, glancing around before settling in his usual seat by the window. He saw Nick in the back with a few other soccer guys; that's where they always sat, farthest from the driver.