Part 3) Chapter Five

The event that takes place in this chapter happens exactly at the same time as the event in the last chapter. It's just a different person now.

...

Percy Jackson

It was lunch now. I wanted to avoid people as much as possible until I felt better. The problem was, I didn't think I would ever feel better. This empty feeling...the silence...how did Nico get used to this? I couldn't handle it. I just felt too lonely.

I glanced up at the baby blue sky. The sky seemed so peaceful to look at, but it wasn't enough to actually make me feel better.

I just wanted to close my eyes, and when I would reopen them, I would be in bed with Nico in my arms. It would've all been just some terrible nightmare.

If only it were like that...If only it could've been that easy.

I wanted to disappear from the world. I wanted to drown in the memories that I had with Nico. I wanted to live though all of those memories with Nico, but I knew that if I did, it'd only make the pain worse. My heart would ache more than it did now. The pain I felt was unbearable. I couldn't handle it. I just wished that Nico would come over and tell me to wake up. To wake up from this horrid nightmare. But, I knew that it wouldn't happen.

Why was I so stupid?

I still could've been together with him. He could've been sitting on my lap, with the rest of my friends surrounding me as we laughed and joked about something stupid that Leo most likely brought up.

But, no, I just had to mess it all up like the idiot I was.

I just gave him empty promises. I told him I would be with him forever. I told him that I would never stop loving him. I told him that I wouldn't have to worry about not loving him anymore. Nico...he...he believed me. He took my every word and kept it close to his heart. And, what did I do? I just trapped his feelings into a jar and made him slowly suffer the more I talked to her. The more I talked to Caly.

I always told myself that it was her fault that this all happened. I always convinced myself that she was the one that purposely did this just so that she could date me. All of the words that she used to insult Nico was just the same as insulting me. But, why? Why did I have to go and kiss her? Why did I have to go and ruin everything?

I heard footsteps and I glanced up. I didn't even notice when I started to look down at the ground in misery.

I saw curly blonde hair tied back into a tight ponytail. Annabeth.

She was most likely looking for Nico. Her intimidating gray eyes that I used to be so madly in love with her scanning the area, as if she were looking for something or someone, which was, as I guessed before, Nico.

I already knew Nico so well, so I could already guess that he went to Miles Square Park. I mean, it would've been pretty bad if I didn't know my own...

Right, I couldn't call him that anymore because I fucking screwed it up!

I unconsciously grasped the beaded necklace that Nico tied around my neck on my birthday - August 18th. The necklace that Nico gave me was my most treasured possession; if I lost it, it was as if Nico permanently left me. It was as if the only part of Nico that was kept inside my heart was just taken away from me.

Annabeth disappeared from my sight when she stepped off the campus. She probably had an idea of where Nico could've gone instead of just hopelessly looking at each centimeter of the school.

There was no one around me where I was. I really doubted that anyone would find me here. It was the very front of school, but no one ever came here. The only reason why people came here was to go to there cars to drive somewhere to eat for lunch or something. But, it wasn't as if people would turn around and look at the wall of the building as if they knew I was there. People usually just walked and talked along. I mean, seriously, I could've just killed one of them, but the others would just continue to walk as talk. It was just how distracted they were.

You know, now that I think about it, I was like that too before I fucked up absolutely everything in my life

I heard footsteps again and I thought it was just Annabeth returning from wherever place that she went to in search of Nico.

I glanced upward, expecting to see intimidating gray eyes, but instead, I found light caramel eyes.

Of course Calypso Atlas decided to come when I was thinking of negative thoughts about her.

"What do you want?" I growled at her with a glare sent in her direction.

She sat down without a sound and, thankfully, it was a respectable distance away.

She glanced at me with sad eyes. "Look, I -"

"I don't even want to hear what you have to say to me," I cut her off.

She stopped, averting her gaze toward the ground. "I'm sorry," she whispered faintly, but I could still hear it loud and clear.

I shut my eyes and attempted to stop myself from shaking so violently. Caly had the nerve to apologize to me now of all times?!

I clenched my teeth together in anger. "Everything you said about him...everything you did...and now that you've come to the result of everything you did you come and apologize?!" I was pretty much yelling by the end of the sentence, but it felt good.

She flinched, gluing her eyes to the ground and fiddling with her fingernails.

I sighed and leaned back against the building, running my hand through my hair.

"Look," I began to say, "if don't have anything to say to me, then leave."

Her eyes shot up from the ground and landed onto me. Her caramel eyes were wide, and they were full of fear.

"I - I want to help you," she stuttered. "I want...to help you get better. Mourning over this isn't going to do anything, right?"

I gulped, narrowing my eyes at her. "Yeah, I guess," I cautiously said. What was she trying to pull on me?

"Then, let me help you!" She pleaded, staring into my eyes. "I won't do anything, really."

I sighed, glancing onto the ground. I wanted someone to help me. At least there was someone would could take this pain away.

"Fine," I said through gritted teeth. I felt like I was going to regret this later on. But, I wanted the pain to go away. Deep down inside, I wanted at least someone to help. To make me feel better. To return my personality from before.

I never actually suffered such a heartbreaking break-up. I mean, my first girlfriend was Annabeth. I was with her for a long time. Then, Nico came, and I fell in...

"Percy, are you okay?" Caly asked me with a concerned look.

The break-up that I had with Annabeth wasn't so bad because I had Nico. But, maybe if I had someone else, the break-up with him wouldn't be as bad either.

I tore my eyes from the ground and stared straight at her. I could tell she was becoming nervous from me.

"W-What?" She hesitantly asked me.

"Do you love me?" I questioned her, and I was so surprised from how my voice sounded. It didn't sound sad or depressed anymore.

"W-Well," she stammered. She stopped, as if she were trying to think of a proper answer. "I-I do love you. But, I promise not to -"

I cut her off when I pushed my lips onto Caly's.