It's Complicated: 5

Start from the beginning

"Where are you going?" Barron asks, looking confused. "We're all sitting in the dining room."

"I know, but one, I don't want to see any of you at the moment and two, if you want this dinner to end up like the last one then make me go in there." I spit out, trying to get out of my brother's grip. He just looks down at me with a sad smile.

"Know that I'm sorry." I still and look up to meet his eyes.

"And why would I accept your apology?" I ask, sounding quieter and more vulnerable then I would have liked. He notices, to my disappointment, and almost jumps at the opportunity to talk.

"For verything. For leaving you, for not fighting for you, for not being there for you during the divorce." At this, my guard goes back up and I finally rip my arm out of his hand. Moving back a few steps, I meet his gaze with my hardening one.

"You should have been there, but you can't change the past. 'I'm sorry' won't cut it this time." Thinking ball to all the other times he's said sorry, I forgave him. Like forgetting to pick me up from volleyball practice and I had to sit in the rain for twenty minutes or accidentally eating the last piece of cake I already said was mine. I think I've already forgiven him for enough things. This time, it won't cut it. "Just, leave me be Barron." I state before walking the rest of the way to the living room.

I fall onto the leather cushions and grab the remote from the glass coffee table. Tucking my legs underneath me, I flip on the tv and see Castle is on. It's my all time, absolute favorite show that my friends and I used to watch every Monday. Even though it's a re run, I get comfortable and enjoy my dinner and a show. This is the episode were Castle and Beckett visit a casino and they dress up like Elvis Presley.

"What? Elvis can't be black?" Espizedo asks, looking from Castle to Ryan. I laugh quietly because this is the best part.

"Mind if I join you?" I turn slightly to see Brianna standing awkwardly in the middle of the doorway. I stand up and grab my empty plate.

"You can watch anything. I just finished up." I push by her and her defeated expression, but she doesn't follow me like I thought she would. Guess the cold shoulder works on her. I wish it would on other people though.

I move to go into the kitchen, but stop when I hear the conversation.

"She needs to learn to like it here." Asher states, sounding in charge and annoying if you ask me.

"Honey, you can't force her to like it here." I press my lips together as my mom speaks. She shouldn't be speaking. She's a part of this like everyone else if I had to guess about them too.

"She's being difficult! First she fights coming here, then she refuses to go to school and sneaks out of the house to play paintball." He sounds angry. Well, that's a plus since he's annoying and I don't like him. Means I'm doing my job.

I decide to make my grand entrance, not wanting to hear this conversation. Walking in, everyone turns to look at me as I put my dirty dishes in the sink.

"Don't stop on my account. I'm just difficult little me putting her dishes in the sink." Silence surrounds me and I smirk down at my hands. Barron looks guilty at being caught having this conversation while Jason just looks annoyed. There are several other adults here that I don't know plus my mother and Asher. "Because I don't have my reason for hating it here." I add sarcastically. When no one says anything, I leave to go back upstairs.

It seems like I've been in my room more then anything, but if people would stop pissing me off, then maybe I would come out more. Everyone, but Jason, has been getting on my nerves and I've only been here for a few days. How am I going to last until I'm eighteen? I'm so close to my birthday, yet it seems so far away. It's late September now. Only ten months left in this place before I can leave. Oh joy.