Chapter 21

School’s been back in full swing for about a month now and Norman still hasn’t told his son about us yet and I’m beginning to wonder if he ever will. I’m going to his house tonight for a visit and I’m going to try and talk him into telling Mingus. I don’t like him keeping us from Mingus and the boy has a right to know. He seems to like me enough, maybe he’ll be thrilled about his dad being with me, even if I’m his student and he’s my teacher. Or maybe he’ll be disgusted in that fact. It’s not like we’ll tell him that we’ve been together intimately, after all he is just a kid and he doesn’t need to know that. I think Liz could sense my inner battles with my thoughts throughout school because whenever she was around me, she tried to take my mind off of whatever she figured was bothering me at that point in time. She kept me from screaming out multiple times from the frustration my thoughts were causing me.

At the end of the day, I dropped her off at home and told her I’d see her later before I headed off to Norman’s. I’d get there before Mingus would so I had enough time to try and talk him into finally telling his son about us before he wound up catching us in bed like he almost did over the break. Even though we weren’t doing anything when he son walked in that night, we could have been and that would’ve been horrible. When I pulled into the driveway at Norman’s house, he was standing on the steps waiting for me. I got out of the car, leaving my bag in the backseat, and made my way up to him as he face looked troubled. “Stephanie are you alright,” he asked when I reached the steps, “you’ve seemed very distracted all day. What’s on your mind sweetheart?” “Norman we need to talk,” I said looking up at him as his face seemed to fall like I was about to rip his heart out, “nothing bad I promise. We just need to talk about something before Mingus gets here.”

He nodded once before stepping to the side and allowing me to enter first before following behind me and closing the door after himself. “What’s wrong,” he asked as he followed me to the couch in the living room. “Look,” I said as we both sat down and he turned so he was facing me, “I know you’re scared of what Mingus might do or say if you tell him about us, but you have to tell him. I don’t want him walking in on us like last time, but the next time we might not just be laying there on the bed sleeping.” “That’s what’s been bothering you all day,” he asked and I nodded as I lowered my eyes to look at the floor in front of me, “sweetheart I’m sorry. I hope you don’t think I’m ashamed of you because I haven’t mentioned anything about us to Mingus.” “I don’t Norman,” I said looking up into his eyes, “I just want you to finally tell him.”

“Tell who what,” we heard a small voice say from the door. When we both looked over the back of the couch, Mingus was standing in the open doorway to the front door with his back pack still on his back and looking at us confused. I looked back to Norman and watched as he slowly turned his attention from his son back to me. I gave him a look that basically asked if he was going to say it. “C’mere bud we need to talk with you,” he said finally returning his gave to his confused son. I watched as he walked over after shutting the front door, seating himself between me and his father after Norman scooted back an inch for him. “What’s going on,” he asked confusion clear on his face as he looked from his dad to me and back to his dad.

“You father has something he’s been meaning to tell you,” I said softly as he turned his head to look at me while I spoke, “nothing bad. Just something you have a right to know about.” I lifted my eyes up to peer at Norman over Mingus’ blonde head as he cleared his throat and his son now looked to him. “I’ve been seeing someone for a little while now,” he started off as he looked down to the boy between us, “I’ve never mentioned it to you because I didn’t know how you’d take it. But I think it’s time you know instead of finding out on your own.” “Is she coming here,” Mingus asked cutting his father off before quickly looking to me, “will she like Stephanie? I don’t want Stephanie to stop coming around because of her.” “Don’t worry buddy,” I said wrapping my arms around his small shoulders and pulling him into a hug as I felt my cheeks warming up, “I’m not going anywhere unless you or your dad don’t want me around anymore.”

“Mingus,” Norman said causing the boy to turn his head and look at him as I still had my arms around him, “the person I’ve been seeing is Stephanie. That’s the reason why I’ve never mentioned seeing anyone to you before. I know you’re aware of the fact that she’s my student. We both told you that the very first day you met her.” “Were you two seeing each other then,” Mingus asked. “No,” I said shaking my head as he looked to me while still wrapped in my arms, “I was only here that day to help you study when in fact you were doing just fine on your own. About a week after is when we finally got together I guess you could say.” “So you two have been seeing each other since the start of the school year,” he asked and I smiled. “Yeah pretty much,” I said laughing as I pulled back from the hug, “are you okay with this? I mean your father dating one of his students, it’s pretty much looked down upon. And there is the fact I’m only a few years older than you.”

“I don’t care,” he said as he jumped forwards and wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug, “I’m just happy it’s you and not some mean lady who would probably treat me like a slave. You’re kind and you don’t treat me like I’m just some kid.” I wrapped my arms around his small body as I could feel the tears burning at the brims of my eyes as a small smile made its way onto my face. “I love you Stephanie,” Mingus whispered still in my arms as I felt my breath hitch in my throat. I looked up to Norman who had tears in his blue eyes as I felt my own tears finally spill over and fall down my cheeks. “I love you too buddy,” I said as I wrapped my arms around him tighter and buried my face in his shoulder. I felt the couch move before I felt Norman wrap his arms around both me and his son.

“I love you as well Stephanie,” Norman said as I lifted my head up to smile at him as he pulled back slightly. “I love you too Norm,” I whispered as I removed one of my hands from around Mingus only to place it on Norman’s cheek and lightly kiss him on the lips. I couldn’t stop smiling as I pulled away from the kiss and looked down to Mingus who was smiling up at me. “So you’re really okay with all this Mingus,” I asked him as I raised my eyebrows up at him in question. “I’d rather it be you then someone else,” he said smiling up at me, “if it was someone else, they’d probably never let you come back around and I don’t want you to leave. I don’t ever remember Dad being this happy like he is with you.” “Like I said buddy,” I said smiling down at him, “I’m not going anywhere unless you or your dad don’t want me around.” “Good,” he said before burying his face in my neck and hugging me tightly.

Quick little author's note for y'all. Two things: 1) sorry on the delayed updates. I've really fucked up my phone. 2) go check out the story I Can't Make You Wait Like This by sydnieking_.
- Kenz