Chapter 4

“You know I think Mr. Murphy got crazier over the summer,” Liz said as we were walking outside to our normal spot for lunch the next day. “Is that even possible,” I asked laughing. Mr. Murphy was our history teacher and he was a major history buff. “I don’t know maybe,” she said laughing as we sat down and I pulled out my apple to begin nibbling on, “okay how come that’s all you ever eat for lunch?” “I don’t know,” I said shrugging as I looked over my notes taken this morning during English. “You should eat a bit more than just an apple,” Liz said causing me to look up at her to see she had a playful glare on her face and her hands on her hips. “Sorry,” I said, “I just don’t eat much at school.” She sighed and leaned back where she was resting on one of her hands, her feet still tucked away underneath her from when we first sat down. I was sitting on the grass Indian style.

“Ladies,” I heard the soft voice of the man who’s been plaguing my thoughts ever since yesterday say behind me. I glanced up at Liz to see her all but melt where she sat. I looked back and up behind me to meet the beautiful blue eyes that belonged to our drama teacher. “Hi Mr. R,” we said together with a smile on both our faces. “Hello ladies,” he said smiling at both of us before returning his gaze to me, “Stephanie I was wondering if I could maybe steal you away for a moment?” I felt a shiver roll down my spine as I heard the way my name rolled off his tongue. “Um,” I said looking over to Liz who was nodding, “yeah sure. I’ll see you in class Liz?” “Yep,” she said smiling at me as she popped the p at the end.

I stood up and grabbed my things that had been spread out around me and followed Mr. Reedus back into the school as I brushed the back of my pants free of dirt. “So what was it you needed Mr. R,” I asked politely as he opened his classroom door for me and allowed me to enter first. “I’ve talked around with some of your other teachers,” he said as he flipped the light on then walked by me and went to sit at his desk, “if it’s not too much trouble I was wondering if you might be willing to help me with tutoring my son. He’s failing a couple classes and I have a feeling you’d be able to help him bring his grades up.” I looked at him confused. “I don’t know Mr. R,” I said, “I’d have to talk with my parents.” “I understand that,” he said nodding, “and you’re not required. I was just wondering if you’d like to help.”

“Let me get back to answering that question tomorrow,” I asked, “I’ll talk to my parents tonight when I get home from school then I’ll be able to give you an official answer tomorrow.” “Sounds good to me,” he said smiling as he stood up, “why don’t you go back out to your friend. You still have a little bit of time before the end of lunch. And I’ll see you at the end of the day for the final period.” “Okay,” I said nodding as he again placed his hand on the upper part of my back and led me over to the door to his classroom. “I’ll see you for last period then Mr. R,” I said smiling back at him as he removed his hand and I walked out the door and back to where Liz was. “So what did he want,” Liz asked in an accusing voice like she knew something I didn’t.

“Wanted to know if I’d tutor his son,” I said nonchalantly as I sat back down. “That’s it,” she asked as her voice rose a bit. “Yes Liz,” I said looking over at her, “that’s it. I told you nothing was gonna happen between me and Mr. R.” “You said you’d give it a till the end of the week,” Liz said with a fake pout on her face. I rolled my eyes and laughed at her just as the bell rang. “Come on let’s get to class,” I said and stood up grabbing her arm and dragging her with me. She quickly linked her arm with mine as we made our way to our next class that was right after Lunch. “You still gonna give him a chance,” she asked me in a whisper as we entered our next class. “Yes Liz,” I said smiling, “you know I keep my word when I promise something like that.” She smiled at me as we both took our seats, side by side, and waited for class to begin.

Look he drove it again,” Liz said as we were walking out of school to an almost empty parking lot again, “seriously I want to go look at it!” We both were giggling a little as we heard someone walk up behind us. “Speak of the devil,” I whispered to Liz which caused her to giggle some more. “Ladies,” Mr. Reedus said smiling and nodding at us. “Mr. R,” Liz said and suddenly I was horrified about what this girl could possibly have to say, “does that beautiful piece of machinery belong to you?” “Yes it is,” he said smiling at her, “you like motorcycles do you?” “We like motorcycles,” she said smiling as she pointed to me and herself as she emphasized we.

“Is that right,” he asked smiling as he turned he blue eyes to me and I instantly felt my cheeks heating up with a blush, damn him. “If it’s not too much trouble could we please look at it before you go,” Liz asked and I kid you not I saw her bat her eyelashes at him as she begged. “Well,” he said as he looked from me to her then back to me. “Please Mr. R,” she begged as he looked to her and smiled. “Alright,” he said and she squealed with delight. I cringed at her squeal and looked over at her. Why the hell are we even friends, I thought as I followed behind. “You’re crazy,” I whispered to her as we followed him, drawing closer to his bike. All she did was smile innocently at me, causing me to roll my eyes.

OMG I'm so sorry it took forever for me to update! I was trying to finish writing for Not Alone. Still can't believe that story is over with by the story line isn't :) Left Behind is the sequel and now available to read. Again sorry I took so long!

-Kenz