Chapter 19

By the time I was able to get out of the bath and into some clean clothes, it was almost time for Mingus to be dropped off here. I think when Norman talked to his son on the phone last night before we went to bed, he told him I’d be here because as soon as there was a knock on the door and Norman answered it, Mingus came running straight for me shouting my name. “Hey buddy,” I said smiling as I wrapped my arms around him in a warm hug. I looked up to see Norman standing in his doorway, with a middle aged woman who was openly glaring at me hugging her son. I quickly looked down, not wanting to meet her gaze, almost thinking that she knew what’s gone on between me and her ex. I heard hushed talking coming from them as I felt Mingus wrap his arms tighter around me, causing me to look down at him just before the sound of the front door closing behind his angry mother. Mingus pulled away just as I looked up to see Norman looking at me with an apologetic look.
“She doesn’t like me being here does she,” I asked in a hushed tone, looking down to my feet and catching Mingus giving me a confused look. “I told her you were here because of Mingus,” Norman said placing his hand on my shoulder causing me to look up at him, “Mingus has gotten attached to you always being here when he is.” “Is it true you’ll be spending the night tonight,” Mingus asked as he tugged on my arm to get my attention. “Yes,” I said smiling down at him, “your father invited me to spend the night that way we can spend all day playing games.” “I wouldn’t have told him that if I were you,” Norman said laughing while I looked up at him smiling. “I do believe I have a little more energy than you Mr. Reedus,” I said giggling as I sent him a playful wink while his son just laughed before I turned my attention back to him, “so Mingus what shall we do first?”
“Okay bud time for bed,” Norman said at the end of the day as he lifted the tired child up into his arms and began walking up the stairs towards Ming’s room. I walked up the stairs behind them, coming to a stop at Mingus’ door and watched as Norman sat him on his bed and tucked him in. I smiled as I watched him sit on the edge of the bed, talking with his son. When he went to get up, Mingus grabbed his arm and pulled his head towards his so he could whisper in his ear. I watched as they both looked towards me before Norman looked back to his son and nodded. Finally able to get up from the bed, Norman made his way towards me where I stood at the door. I went to turn away but Norman’s hand rested on my shoulder, stopping me. “He wants you to tuck him in too,” Norman said smiling down at me as I turned my attention to his son, “it’s okay. I’ll wait for you out here.” I smiled and nodded before stepping inside Mingus’ room.
“Hey buddy,” I said softly smiling as I sat down on the edge of his bed and he smiled up at me. “Hey Stephanie,” he said smiling, “I’m glad you’re staying the night.” “Me too buddy,” I said smiling, “now get some sleep.” “Stephanie will you be going back home in the morning,” he asked grabbing my hand before I could move to stand up. “Yeah,” I said nodding, “I have to spend Christmas with my family Mingus.” “I don’t want you to go,” he said sadly. “I know buddy,” I said, “but I have to. I’ll see you again and you know that. C’mere.” He sat up and wrapped his small arms around my neck as I wrapped him in a hug. “Okay now get some rest and I’ll see you in the morning before I have to go home,” I said as I pulled away from the hug and he laid back down on his bed. I smiled down at him before standing up and walking out of his room and closing his door behind me.
“I think he’s really gotten attached to you,” Norman said once I turned back around to face him, “as I have.” “C’mon let’s go to bed Norman,” I said smiling as I felt a blush creep up on my face while I grabbed his hand and gently pulled him towards his room. Walking into his room, I came to a stop by his bed while I turned around and watched him close his door. When he turned back to face me, he walked over towards me and placed his hands at the bottom of my shirt before slowly lifting it above my head as I raised my arms. I smiled at him as I lowered my arms once again and watched as his hands moved to my jeans and slowly took them off as well. Walking away from me, Norman went and grabbed a tee for me out of his closet before walking back to me and placing it over my head. I turned and climbed into bed while he undressed, until he was left in nothing but his boxers and walked over to the nightstand on his side of the bed.
“I was going to wait and give this to you later,” he said digging a box and envelope out of his nightstand before handing it over to me, “but I guess now would be a good time. Merry Christmas.” With a slightly confused look on my face, I took the objects from him and opened the envelope first to find a letter inside it. I looked to him before I even glanced at the writing on the paper. “Norman,” I asked while he just smiled and shook his head. “Read it first,” he said smiling, “please.” I looked at him curiously, a small smile on my face as I slowly turned my attention back to the small letter in my hand so I could read whatever it was he wrote that he didn’t seem to want to say out loud. I bit my lower lips as one of my hands rested on the box I had placed on my lap as I slowly read over the letter he gave me.
Dear Stephanie,
I love you so very much. From the first day of school, when we bumped into each other in the hallways, I knew you were special. That night when that storm hit, and you asked me if you could kiss me, you stole my heart and have never given it back. But in all honesty, I don’t want it back because that’d mean I’d lose you and I couldn’t live without you now. Having my heart so long now, I think it’s only fair that you’d be able to open it. In this box, is the key to my heart. Keep it safe and use it well. I love you Stephanie, with all of my heart.
Love,
Norman
I smiled as I felt a tear slip down my cheek before I looked up at him. “Open the box,” he whispered, smiling so lovingly at me as he took the letter from my hands so I could open the box in my lap. Inside, was a small heart shaped key on a chain necklace. The heart was decorated with small diamonds all around. “Norman,” I whispered looking down at it as I ran my fingers across it, “It’s beautiful.” I smiled and looked up at him as he took the box containing the necklace and sat it on the bedside table along with the letter before turning back to me and placing his hand on my cheek before placing a gentle kiss on my lips. “C’mon,” he whispered once pulling away, “let’s get some sleep.” I smiled and nodded as I laid down while he turned and cut off the lamp beside him before turning back and laying with me while placing his arm around me to hold me close.
It was some time later, when it was still dark out, when I felt Norman shift and heard a small voice coming from the door way. “Dad,” I heard, “I’m thirsty.” Shit, I thought as I tried to lay as flat as I could so Mingus didn’t see me. “Alright buddy,” Norman said and I could hear a hint of panic in his voice, “go back to your room and I’ll get up and get you some water. Go on.” I heard a sigh before the sound of the room door closing. I looked over at Norman and watched as he turned back to face me. “When do you plan to tell him,” I asked as he sat up slowly, grabbing a pair of pajama pants off of the chair near the bed. “We can tell him tomorrow if you want,” Norman said as he stood up while sliding on the pants and looking back at me over his shoulder. “You’ll have to tell him soon,” I said as he walked to the door, “instead of him finding out like this.” He looked back at me and nodded before walking out the door to get his son a glass of water.

Merry Christmas everyone! Stephanie's necklace to the top/right.
- Kenz