Chapter 7

I smiled as I watched the boy beside me work on the homework he didn’t need any help with as I pulled out my own homework again and got back to doing it. Every now and then he’d get stuck on some of his homework and grab my attention from mine so I could help him but a majority of the work he could do himself. “Do you have to go home as soon as you finish helping me,” Mingus asked after a few minutes when he was nearing the end of his work and I was just finishing my own. “I guess so why,” I asked looking over at the blonde boy as he looked up at me with sad eyes. “I was hoping you’d hang out afterwards,” he said looking down at his work, “Dad never brings anyone home anymore so it’s lonely here sometimes with just the two of us.” “Well how about this,” I said smiling at him, “if it’s alright with your dad, when you finish your work I’ll call home and talk to my parents and see if I can stay for a bit longer just for you.”
I watched as a smile brightened his face as he quickly nodded and went back to his work while I stood up and excused myself from the table to look for his dad while he didn’t need my help with his current work. “He working hard,” Mr. R said when I found him in the large living room on the other side of the house from where I had been sitting with his son. “Very,” I said smiling, “he asked me if I had to go home as soon as he was finished with his work.” “What did you tell him,” he asked turning his attention from his phone to me. “Told him I’d talk to you and if it was alright I’d call my folks and ask them,” I said shrugging, “the kid broke my heart the way he looked up at me hoping I’d stay and hang out for a bit.” “Yeah he has that tendency,” he said laughing lightly, “if it’s okay with your parents then you’re more than welcome to stay for a bit. But just know I’m not trying to make you or your parents uncomfortable by you staying here longer than agreed.”
I nodded before turning and heading back into the dining room to find Mingus packing up his stuff and turning around at my entrance. “All done,” I asked as he nodded quickly, “mind if I check your work?” He just shrugged and pulled everything back out and allowed me to look over his work to make sure he had done everything right and didn’t just write down bogus answers. “Okay Mingus,” I said smiling as I looked to him as he looked over my shoulder while I checked his work, “you’re all done.” I watched as he smiled widely and began repacking his homework into his book bag before grabbing it and running upstairs to probably toss it into his bedroom. I told Mr. R that I was going to step outside and call my parents and ask them if it was okay if I hung out for a bit before heading home.
That phone call was fun to say the least. Neither my mom nor my dad were happy about what I was asking. But I explained to them that his son was breaking my heart when he asked if I had to leave. They knew my weakness for kids and when I said the boy was ten, they finally gave up and allowed me to stay. Especially after I told them that the boy was here and Mr. R wouldn’t try anything like what they were most likely worried about with the boy here. They finally gave in and I told them I’d call them before I left so that they knew I’d be on my way. They said their goodbyes and before I was able to hang up, Mom told me to be careful. I simply rolled my eyes as I hung up and headed back inside to find that Mr. R and Mingus had plugged in a Playstation 3 in and were in the middle of a heated battle on Call Of Duty.
I stood back and watched as the two played against each other, lost in their own world of the game, unaware that I was there watching. I smiled as I watched the two, crossing my arms over my chest and just waiting to see who would win and waiting to see when they’d notice me there. “You can sit you know,” Mr. R said causing me to jump, not realizing he had noticed me standing there before he glanced back at me and smiled. I blushed intensely as I walked over to the small arm chair near the back windows and sat down, continuing to watch the two play against each other. Just watching them was entertaining in and of itself.
I’m not sure how long I sat there watching them play that game. Every time it ended, Mr. R would get so mad because he lost to his son and I’d try to muffle a giggle that came up every time I noticed his reaction to losing but it was getting harder to contain it each time. “You think you could do better,” he asked holding the controller out to me as he asked. “No,” I said shaking my head, “I’m enjoying just watching you two.” I tried to keep from smiling but failed miserably as he continued to hold the controller out to me. “I’m serious,” I said shaking my head trying to rid the smile from my face. “So am I,” he said walking towards me with the controller.
I sighed, knowing I wasn’t getting out of this and began reaching for the controller in his hands. Just as I was about to take it, there was a loud clap of thunder causing us all to jump as we weren’t expecting it. All of our heads turned towards the windows beside me as we looked out to see it was nearly dark but what caught our attention were the big dark storm clouds moving in. I pulled out my phone to see I had a missed call from my parents. Quickly dialing their number, I pressed talk and waited for them to answer as there was another clap of thunder. When someone at the house finally answered, it was pouring down rain and the wind was crazy. My mom was the one to answer and was informing me that this was some severe storm that’d last all night tonight, making it nearly impossible for me to drive home tonight.
I looked over at Mr. R as he held his hand out to me, wanting my phone so he could talk to my mom. I quickly handed it over and walked towards the window and watched as the storm carried on outside as Mingus came to stand by me. “I don’t like storms,” he whispered looking up and over at me as I looked down at him, seeing the worry in his face. “Me either bud,” I said placing my hand on his shoulder as we both looked back out to the raging storm. “Here,” Mr. R said causing me to jump as he handed me my phone, “your parents want you staying here tonight until the storm lets up tomorrow. I’m afraid the only place you can sleep is on the couch.” “That’s fine,” I mumbled as I turned my attention from him back to the window. “I’ll go get you some blankets and a pillow,” he said, “c’mon Ming let’s get you to bed.” I watched as the two disappeared upstairs, leaving me alone in front of the window just as another crack of thunder sounded causing me to jump and wrap my arms around myself