Chapter 5

“Okay I seriously hate you right now,” I said to Liz in the car after we finally left the school. After her begging, we got to walk over to Mr. Reedus’ bike and look at it, and it was a beauty. “What did I do,” she asked looking over at me trying to play innocent. “Don’t pull that bullshit with me,” I said glaring, “you did that on purpose!” “You know you were secretly thanking me for that,” she said smiling, “I could see you basically drooling over that bike while we were there.” “Shut up,” I grumbled as I pulled into her driveway and she went to get out. “Just wait,” she said standing in the door to my car, “you’ll thank me for that later.” “Bye Liz,” I said as she waved and closed the door behind her before running inside.
I drove to my house in silence just thinking about what had happened. When I finally pulled into my driveway, my head was starting to hurt from thinking so much. “Hey Momma, hey Dad,” I said smiling as I greeted my mom and dad in the living room. “Hey sweetie,” Momma said as she hugged me, “how was school today?” “It was okay,” I said as I sat my bag down on the floor by the coach until I went upstairs to my room to work on my homework, “um my Drama teacher wanted me to ask you guys something.” “What’s that sweetie,” Momma asked as Dad muted the TV and turned to look at me. “Um,” I said nervously because I wasn’t sure how they’d take it, “he asked me if I’d help him out with tutoring his son. He told me I wasn’t required to.”
I watched for a moment as both my parents shared a look before they looked back at me. “It’s okay with me,” Momma said as she then looked back to Dad. “Just don’t stay out too late when you do,” he said looking back to the TV, “and make sure you call us when you’re on your way home from tutoring his son.” “I will,” I said smiling, “I think I’m gonna go up and get started on my homework now.” “Okay dear,” Momma said as she went into the kitchen, “supper will be ready later.” “Okay,” I called from the stairs after picking up my bag and walking up to my room. Well I got that settled so now all I have to do is tell Mr. R that I have my parents’ permission to tutor his son. I just hope it doesn’t get awkward at his house or wherever.
That next day, I met up with Liz just before entering Mr. R’s room. “So did you talk to your parents,” Liz asked as we stood by my locker so I could put my things away before heading to his room. “Yes,” I said glancing over at her, “they said it was okay.” “You lucky bitch,” she said hitting my arm as I shut my locker door, “you get to be alone with him at his house!” “Okay will you stop that,” I whispered to her just as we reached his door, “please just stop! I’m tired of all this. There’s nothing going to happen while I’m at his house.” “Sorry,” she said holding her hands up and walking into his room while I groaned and walked in after her.
I sat in the back of his classroom, in my same seat I had been sitting in ever since first walking into his class on that first day. I couldn’t make myself pay attention to him today as he talked. What Liz had been hinting at out in the hallway earlier was getting to me. I knew that nothing would happen but still her saying that put it in my head. Bad thing was I was okay with the idea that something might or could happen at his house. Damn you Liz, I thought as I looked over at her to see she was watching every move he made up at the front of the class. When the bell rang, I stayed in my seat as everyone else got up and began leaving. “I’ll meet you outside,” I said to Liz when she stopped to look at me. I watched as she looked from me to Mr. R at the front and then back to me before nodding.
After the last person exited out of the room, I grabbed my things and made my way up to where he was standing by the board just behind his desk. “Mr. R,” I said as he stopped what he was doing and looked back and smiled at me. “Hello Stephanie,” he said as he put down his marker and turned around to face me, “everything alright today? You were quiet in the back during class.” “Um yeah,” I said smiling up at him, “everything’s fine. I, um, I talked with my parents last night. About helping to tutor your son.” “You did,” he asked as he walked forward and sat on the edge of his desk in front of me, “what’d they say?” “They said it was okay if I helped out,” I said as he smiled again, “I just have to call them when I’m leaving and heading home.” “Understandable,” he said nodding, “think you could start this Friday?”
“Um yeah sure,” I said nodding, “I think I can. So, um, just follow behind you Friday then?” “Yeah that’ll work,” he said nodding, “why don’t you head on to lunch before you miss it all together.” “Yeah okay,” I said rubbing the back of my neck and laughing shyly, “see you later Mr. R.” I smiled and left out of his room, headed towards the doors that’d lead to where Liz should be sitting. As I walked I couldn’t fight the smile that crossed my face and I know for a fact I now had to be blushing by the look Liz gave me when I walked out the doors and she had seen me.
“So I take it you told him your parents said it was okay,” she said smiling at me as I sat down. “Yeah,” I said sitting my things on the grass beside me, “I’m starting Friday.” “This Friday,” she asked and I just nodded still smiling, “I say it again. You lucky bitch!” We both started laughing as I lightly pushed her back as she tried hitting me again. “I wonder what his son’s like,” I said as I looked down at the apple I had in my hand. “Guess you’ll have to wait and find out won’t you,” she snickered as I just rolled my eyes at her comment. I now had to wait two days before I’d be following him home. “Oh I can’t take you home Friday,” I said just as the bell rang, “I’m following him straight to his house right after school.” I heard her mumble something but I couldn’t exactly tell as we went our separate ways at the doors leading inside the school.