9 Remember the past, change the future

Written for The Quidditch League Fanfiction Competition

[Season 8] - Round 10: Shared Connections

Team: Chudley Cannons

Position: Beater 1 - [Beater 1 and 2] Connect your fics by using the same romantic pairing as the focus of your fic.

Prompts:

2. (song) "To Build a Home" by The Cinematic Orchestra

10. (emotion) regret

.

Written for Chudley Cannon Team Challenge

Prompt: Write a story about your least favourite character.

.

Italics are flashforward.

.

Thanks to insertcleverandwittytitlehere and Queen Bookworm the First for betaing!

.:lll:.

TRIGGER WARNING: death

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

"Oh, Albus. Just the person I was looking for."

He instantly recognized the voice. It belonged to Bathilda Bagshot. Most people in Godric's Hollow had avoided the Dumbledores, thinking they needed space to grieve. And Bathilda had as well... until now.

"Oh, hi, Bathilda—"

Albus trailed off as he turned around and saw who stood next to her. It was a boy roughly his age. His golden-blond hair fell perfectly in front of his handsome face. His eyes appeared to bore through Albus.

His mouth was suddenly dry.

"Hi. This is my great-nephew Gellert Grindelwald. He came this morning and is visiting me for some time. He's your age, and I think you'd have a lot in common, so would you mind showing him around?"

Albus tore his eyes away from the boy—Gellert Grindelwald—to smile at Ms Bagshot.

"Yes, er, of course."

He could feel Gellert's eyes on him again. Why was it suddenly so hot?

Bathilda left them alone. Gellert walked forward to shake Albus' hand, though his hands lingered for a few moments too long. Albus was suddenly very conscious of his sweaty hands.

"Bathilda tells me you're the brightest wizard at Hogwarts?"

Merlin, his voice was perfect.

Only Merlin knew why Albus felt the need to prove himself. He straightened his back, only managing to make himself a few inches taller than Gellert, and puffed his chest. "Yes. I am."

Gellert smirked, a hint of triumphant trickery clear as day in his expression.

"I think we're going to be good friends."

.:lll:.

Albus stared at the two young men in front of him but almost didn't recognize one of them. Sirius Black wasn't acting as his usual carefree self. Right now, as he and Remus Lupin stood in front of Albus in his office—Black was the opposite.