4 Promise me, Teddy! (part 3)

Prompts by the QLFC: Write about someone trying to start over.

Bonus prompts by the QLFC: 11. (word) reality and 15. (word) unexpected

Prompts by the CCTC: Post your story before the deadline.

.

Thanks to Ashleigh for betaing!

.

TW: transphobia and misgendering

.

Word count: 2373

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

.:lll:.

Teddy sat in their room at the Potters, staring at nothing in particular. They were home from Hogwarts for the Winter Holidays and almost regretted not staying at school.

They had been living with the Potters for almost a year during the Holidays while Andromeda had been in the hospital, but this... this was too permanent.

They were still grieving the passing of Andromeda, the one person who had always been there for them, and the only person who knew they were non-binary.

The funeral had only been a couple of weeks ago, and Teddy would have to spend a Christmas without Andromeda for the first time ever.

And no one seemed to understand them. Not like she had.

Someone carefully opened the door of their new bedroom. Harry. He had been so worried about them for the last few weeks. Teddy faked a smile, but quickly dropped it.

Harry closed the door behind him, sat next to Teddy and put a hand on their knee. Teddy hoped he would say something to cheer them up, or at least something so Teddy could open up. But Harry just kept opening and closing his mouth.

"I miss Grandma," they said after the silence became too much. If she was here, she would support them as they came out and hex anyone who dared misgender them.

Harry nodded slowly. "I know. But it gets better. At some point. And you're such a strong boy. I know you'll be okay."

Teddy sank on the bed.

Harry hesitated, then sighed loudly. "I'm here to talk, if you need it, alright?"

Teddy opened and closed their mouth, making Harry wait a few more moments. But when they didn't say anything, he got up to leave, and just as he put his hand on the door handle, Teddy spoke quickly.

"I'm non-binary."

Harry turned around slowly. "You're what?"

"Non-binary," they repeated, not sure what to make of Harry's tone.

"What even is that?"

Teddy hesitated, really not liking Harry's tone. They felt their heart rate quicken. "A gender. My gender. I'm neither a boy nor a girl, but something else entirely."

Harry scratched the back of his head; his eyebrows were furrowed. "You can't know that. You're only seventeen, and... you're confused. There's just a lot of hormones in you right now, making you think stupid things. There's no such thing as... that."

"Yes there is," Teddy said, tears stinging in their eyes. "Harry, I've been thinking about it for a very long time, and I feel better being non-binary. It feels better than being a boy... or a girl."