THE BIG UNEASY

"Enough with all the racket!" Klaus yelled and Nat and Elijah turned to him. Elijah had called some men to renovate the compound and they were overseeing their work. Klaus and Genevieve were coming downstairs to find the source of the noise, the former annoyed at all the noise so early in the morning.

"Is there a problem, Nik?" Nat asked him in a fake sweet tone and he glared at her.

"Gentlemen, please." Elijah told the workers and they immediately stopped their work, grabbing their tools and walking out of the compound.

"I agreed to a general sprucing up, not a bloody three-ring circus." Klaus huffed and Nat laughed quietly.

"Marcel and his minions abused our home for the better part of a century. Now, you might be content to live in a squalor. I'm not." Elijah commented as he gestured at the courtyard.

"I agree with your brother." Genevieve suddenly said and Nat raised an eyebrow. "It's a new era in the French Quarter. This place could use a makeover."

"Careful, Elijah." Klaus told his brother lowly as he placed an arm around him and another around Nat, leading them away. "When this one agrees with you, it's a sure sign she wants something." Nat and Elijah exchanged glances and she rolled her eyes.

"Actually, I do have a request." Genevieve said with a smile and Nat looked away.

"How surprising." She muttered under her breath, the other witch rolling her eyes and turning to Elijah.

"I'm told our coven hasn't been able to celebrate feast days in the open since Marcel restricted the use of magic. Now with the new peace, I'd like that to change." At those words, Nat perked up, suddenly interested in what Genevieve had to say, something that didn't go unnoticed by Elijah.

"Am I to assume that you have a certain feast day in mind?" He questioned and she smiled.

"La Fête des Bénédictions. Feast of the Blessings. In the past, members of the community offered witches gifts in exchange for blessings. We'd like to use it as a forum for introducing our young Harvest girls to society."

Nat looked at Klaus, who was pouring himself a drink. He looked up at her with raised eyebrows, visibly surprised by the witch's request.

"So your coven attempted to destroy my family - and you yourself held my siblings in an unspeakable torment - and you would like a party for the witches?" Elijah asked her and Klaus chuckled at his disbelieving tone.

"I made my amends with your brother. Why don't you think it over?" Genevieve told the older vampire before leaving the compound, Nat following her with her eyes until she was out.

"Oh, don't be such a stiff, Elijah. The tourists love a good festival. Besides, what better way to cement the solidarity than a show of faith toward a one-time enemy?" Klaus told his brother before downing his drink in one swift move.

"A onetime enemy with whom you've grown rather nauseatingly intimate." His brother replied in disgust and Nat wrinkled her nose.

"Well, who said maintaining alliances can't be fun?"

"One would think you'd be a little more interested in attending the needs of the mother of your child." Elijah commented airily.

"So, she's the reason behind this oh-so-thoughtful renovation?" Klaus asked and Nat shrugged. "Elijah, the truth is, the mother of my child is werewolf royalty. Natalia knows that." He pointed at Nat and she looked away sheepishly. "She's far safer in the Bayou with her pack than she would ever be here with us. Don't worry. I'll bring her home before the birth." He started to walk away and towards the exit. "No child of mine will be born in a swamp."