APRÈS MOI, LE DÉLUGUE

"The Italians call them strega. The Yoruba of West Africa call them aje, meaning mother. Where my mother was from, they called them häxa, and here we call them witch. Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them." Nat smiled at those words, knowing all about the relationships between vampires and witches. "Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with. Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina." Elijah finished his explanation as he looked at the drawings on the coffee table.

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound down the hall under my protection." Klaus said as he entered the living room, where Hayley, Elijah and Nat were in, trying to decipher what the sketches meant. "Your Celeste was quite beautiful." He told Elijah before looking up at Nat. "Not more than you, of course." She smiled sarcastically at him and he shrugged. "And a portent of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence."

"Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day, but she's been dead for over two hundred years." He frowned and looked at the sketches more carefully. "I don't understand. Why all these sketches now?" He mumbled.

"Why does any witch do anything?" Klaus muttered sarcastically and Nat shrugged. Elijah went to the bar and made a drink, handing it to Nat before making another for himself. Suddenly, screams were heard from upstairs.

"Well, that's going well." Nat muttered and Klaus sighed.

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea." Elijah told Klaus and he rolled his eyes.

"Oh. Are there any more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?"

"Give me a month, I'll get you a list." Elijah told him sarcastically, prompting Hayley and Nat to laugh quietly.

"Young, old, dead, or alive, witches are a pain in the ass." Klaus said out loud and Nat glared at him. "Except you." He told Nat as he got up. "Sometimes." He added before leaving the room. Nat took a sip from her drink and got up, pacing around the room as Elijah and Hayley looked at the drawings.

"Elijah?" Nat turned around at the sound of Hayley's voice. "There's something you should know." Both Nat and Elijah looked at her questioningly, but before she could say anything, the house began to shake violently.

"What the hell?!" Nat exclaimed concerned before the three of them walked out onto the balcony overlooking the courtyard. There, they found Rebekah looking around in confusion.

"What the hell is going on?" She yelled loudly just as Klaus walked out to join them, looking grim.

"Davina." He told them and Nat looked at Elijah, their conversation from the night before entering her mind. Rebekah, looking worried, rushed upstairs and into Davina's bedroom. Nat, Elijah and Klaus went back to the living room, Hayley staying outside. Marcel was already there, pacing around the room anxiously. "This is madness. How can a 16-year-old girl shake the entire French Quarter?" Klaus asked out loud.

"I've seen her rock the church, but I've never seen anything like this." Marcel told them worriedly.

"How did you control her when she was in the attic?" Klaus asked Marcel.

"I didn't have to. But then again, I never killed her boyfriend." He snapped at the hybrid angrily.

"Yes, yes. We've been over this part already. The point is in her present state, she's useless as a tool against the witches."

"She's not a tool." Marcel said defensively and Klaus sighed.

"Something's wrong with her."

"She has too much power that she cannot control. That much we already knew. But why is it manifesting itself in such an aggressive manner?" Elijah asked himself. Nat crossed her arms on her chest and looked at him knowingly. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and he went to leave the room.