BLOODLETTING/THE RIVER IN REVERSE

"Not the most attractive community, are they?" Elijah said out loud as he looked at the vampire fighters milling around the Abattoir. He, Nat and Klaus had come in search of Hayley but Marcel had told them that he didn't have her, but that he would help them.

"You do realize they can hear you?" Klaus asked him quietly.

"You do realize I don't care?" Elijah retorted and Nat rolled her eyes. Suddenly, Marcel came back, followed by some vampires and Sabine. 

"You know, Elijah, I liked you better in that box. And Nat." She raised an eyebrow and he smiled at her. "I liked you better when I didn't know you were with him." He then turned to Klaus. "But Klaus, my sire, you I owe the world, and I always show respect to my elders. If your special lady friend is missing, you could benefit from the help of a witch." Nat glared at his attempt to discredit her, and he smiled smugly. "And, since I control all the witches in this town, I'll grant you one little locator spell. Sabine's the best guide in the Quarter. Need to find someone? I guarantee, she's your girl." Marcel told Klaus before turning to leave them to their business.

"Where are you going?" Klaus asked him confused.

"I hate to cut this short, but the sun's coming up soon. My nightwalkers need to get inside, and I have got a city to run. I'll leave you to track down your lost ship."

"Can you find her?" Elijah asked Sabine and Nat turned to the witch.

"I can try." The vampires brought her a map and then directed them to a small table on the side. "I'm gonna need your blood." Sabine whispered quietly at Klaus and he nodded, biting his wrist and pouring some blood on the map. Sabine started chanting quietly in french and the puddle of blood moved towards the Bayou in the map. "She's in the back country. Way past Houma, deep in the Bayou."

"For God's sake, we're never gonna hear the end of that wretched place." Nat muttered in frustration.

"I don't suppose you could be more precise?" Elijah asked Sabine, but she shook her head.

"What's the matter, Elijah? You're worried a bit of splashing about in the bog might ruin your expensive shoes?" Klaus asked sarcastically.

"As a matter of fact, after my recent confinement, I could use a decent stroll through the countryside."

"There are stories of exiled werewolves, encampments." Sabine said, snapping both brothers out of their bickering. Nat frowned and looked at the witch questioningly. "If Hayley went out that far, chances are she went to find them."

"Clearly, she hopes to make the acquaintance of more like herself. I suppose our company wasn't good enough for her." Klaus shrugged. Nat and Elijah exchanged worried glances before turning to Sabine. "Well, don't just stand around. Let's go." The three of them got up from their seats and hurried out of the compound, getting in the car and driving away.

After a quick ride to the Bayou, Nat, Elijah and Klaus finally arrived, getting out of the car and walking around immediately. They searched through the woods for any sign of Hayley, but so far, there was no trace of her.

"We should head south towards the water." Elijah told them and Nat nodded, walking next to him as Klaus walked behind them.

"You seem quite determined to find the little wolf." Klaus started and Nat sighed quietly. She knew that tone. He wanted to get a rise out of Elijah, and knowing him, Nat would be included there too.

"If we're moving too fast for you, Niklaus, you're welcome to wait in the car. Do be certain to leave the windows down." Elijah retorted.

"Ah, so I've touched a nerve?" Klaus asked amused. "You've begun to admire this girl. Perhaps that's why you've been barking orders since your return, hoping to impress Hayley by assuming the role of family patriarch." Nat stopped walking and looked at Klaus. "Be careful, love, the little wolf might just steal him away from you."