REIGNING PAIN IN NEW ORLEANS

"Elijah?" Iliana asked shyly and the tall man turned to her. A smile graced his lips as soon as his eyes landed on her. He was sitting against the old tree by the field with a thin dagger on his hands. "What are you doing here?" She asked him.

"I wanted to see why you liked this place so much." He answered simply and she tilted his head to the side. "Come." She immediately walked over and plopped down next to him, pulling her knees to her chest and looking ahead.

"You have already been here." Iliana started and turned to Elijah, finding him already staring at her. "Why now?"

"I have been here with you." He reminded her and she squinted her eyes in confusion. "You distract me all the time, so I had to see it for myself. Alone."

"I distract you?" She asked, giggles coming out of her lips. He grinned at her and nodded. "Right." She said dismissively. "Won't your father be angry at you for not helping the men of the village?"

"I could ask you the same thing." She raised an eyebrow at his words. "Won't your mother be angry that you're not helping her at home?" She smiled and looked away.

"Tatia is covering for me."

"Niklaus is covering for me."

They both looked at each other before bursting out in laughter. They couldn't help it, really. Every time they were together, happiness filled them all over. Everyone could see how happy they made the other, except them. Iliana was too scared to do something about the way she felt about Elijah and unbeknownst to her, he felt the same.

"It's just a beautiful place." Iliana said after a moment. "It's so peaceful and calm, as if it's another place entirely." She looked at him, the wind blowing her hair as she did so. "I can escape here."

"What are you trying to escape?" He asked softly and Iliana's breath hitched in her throat. "Who are you trying to escape?" He asked more quietly as he stared straight into her eyes.

"I don't know." She whispered as her eyes trailed to his lips before they travelled back to his eyes. "I just like it here..." That wasn't entirely the truth. Yes, she liked the field because of the atmosphere and how she felt, but there was another reason, one that she didn't feel comfortable sharing just yet.

"Iliana!" Their moment was broken by Tatia's voice. Iliana turned her head back and saw her sister standing a few feet away. "Mother is asking for you. I told her you would be back soon."

"I'll be there soon, Tatia. Give me a moment." Her sister nodded and quickly ran back to the house. Iliana sighed and turned back to Elijah, seeing him already standing up. He held out his hand and she took it, trying to ignore the way her heart started beating when their hands touched. He pulled her up gently and they looked at each other.

"I should go back to Father and the others." Elijah said quietly and Iliana nodded, her lips twitching a little. "It was good seeing you here." He told her softly as his eyes stared at her intently. Iliana felt her heart beating out of her chest at the way he looked at her.

"Elijah..." She whispered as he took a step closer. She noticed his eyes trailing to her lips, as if considering the thought of kissing her. There was nothing she wanted more, but she suddenly felt scared of ruining their friendship, which is why she spoke up. "I should go back home."

She looked away, but his eyes stayed rooted on her. She turned around and started to walk away, feeling stupid for breaking the moment, but before she could get any further, she felt Elijah encasing her arm in his grip. She gasped softly as he turned her back around and wound an arm around her waist, placing his lips on top of hers. Immediately, she grabbed his face in her hands and kissed him back just as fervently.