Chapter 36: Thornton's Plans

The almost broken down bus pulled up into Thornton's grand driveway.

"Come on, guys. Let's do this. Let's go, come on." Tyler urged.

"Follow me." 

"This place is nuts." Lizzie commented as she made her way off the bus."

"Hurry up!"

One by one, the kids piled off the vehicle. Tyler turned around to face Vooch.

"All right. If you see anyone pull into the driveway, honk twice. That way, we'll know to get out."

"You're sure you want me to honk twice? That could take a while." Vooch asked.

The man proved his point by honking once. "Pop goes the Weasel" came out of the bus.

Tyler sighed. "Okay, good call. Just honk once."

Vooch smiled and relaxed in his seat.

✧✧✧✧✧

The group, excluding Tyler, made their way to the front of the mansion.

"Are you sure you wanna do this?" Lizzie asked. 

The group paused to look at the redhead.

"I mean, you and Chote almost died the last time you hung out."

Ellie thought back to the what had happened last time. Apparently, she heard that Chote jumped off a cliff and Gina had to save him. It was a miracle that the two hadn't died yet. 

"Lizzie's right," Ellie frowned. "That was really dangerous."

"Keeping him busy while you guys ransack his dad's office is the least I can do. I was the one who got us kicked out in the first place."

"Gina, it's not your fault." Eric said. He was still a little upset that his friend was putting all the blame on herself when they all shared part of the blame.

"I was completely selfish. I did what Thornton asked, and I knew that it was wrong, but I didn't tell you."

"Thornton used you. He wants to tear us apart. You had no way of knowing what he was gonna do." Dylan added. 

Ellie placed a hand on Gina's shoulder and gave the girl a smile to show that she wasn't mad or upset.

Tyler finally caught up with the team.

"We don't blame you for a second."

Slowly, a small smile crept onto Gina's face.

"Thanks. You guys are the best."

In return, Ellie gave her friend a big hug.

"Now quick, hide!" Gina quickly shoved her friends behind a bush.

"Okay! Whoa!" Dylan yelped.

As they were being pushed behind the bushes, Ellie somehow managed to trip. Her eyes widened and then shut tightly before preparing herself for the fall. A pair of strong arms wrapped around her body, effectively stopping her fall.

Ellie hesitantly opened her eyes to meet those of her savior. Red flooded her cheeks and she could feel the embarrassment crawl up her neck.

"You okay?" Tyler asked.

"Y-yeah." She stuttered. Even though they were supposed to be mad at each other, Ellie couldn't help but feel her heart beat speed up. She quickly averted her eyes and removed herself from his hold. The girl slapped her cheeks with her hands to try to regain her mind, not that it helped.