Chapter 1: First Day Back

"The Flounders. A ragtag team of rejects from the Valley... assembled for one reason and one reason only. To fail. But they didn't fail. They didn't exactly succeed, but they didn't fail. Thanks to a technicality, they passed the Junior Rescue Training. Now, they'll be protecting the beaches of Malibu from Tower Two. Tyler, the wise guy with the great hair. Ellie, the super athlete and extremely rich kid. These two are also known as the power couple. Gina... the tough one. Lizzie. Spunky, with a dark side. Dylan, the captain with a lot to prove. Eric, the heart of the group. And... Tyler-"

"Hold on." Gina frowned, as Eric paused the video.

"You already said Tyler." The girl huffed.

"I did?" The dark skinned boy looked up in surprise.

"You started with him. It's way too much Tyler." Gina protested.

"I think it's exactly the right amount of me." Tyler leaned over the seat.

"Of course you do." Ellie smiled and nudged the blond boy with her elbow.

"'Spunky with a dark side'? I don't see it." Lizzie cocked her head to the side in confusion.

"Oh! Did I tell you? My dad was mowing the lawn in his bare feet and he cut off three toes. I asked the doctor if I could sew one on and he said maybe next time. I really hope there's a next time!" Lizzie giggled.

"Oh. 'Spunky with a dark side.' I hear it now." Lizzie slightly smiled.

Ellie patted the redhead's shoulder and nodded.

"Exactly."

"Yo, Eric. I can't believe you made this. Where'd you get the footage?" Tyler asked.

"Vooch shot it." Eric replied.

Vooch looked at the kids through his rearview mirror.

"I also do weddings and bar mitzvahs."

The five teens turned to look at the back of the bus, where a couple in wedding attire sat. The couple greeted the kids with a small, "Hi!"

"Guys, squeeze in. I wanna get a pic of your first day as official Malibu Junior Rescue. Everybody say, 'Who's driving?'" Vooch held up his camera and ushered the kids to scoot closer together.

"Who's driving?" The kids repeated, smiling for the camera.

A couple of clicks from the camera were heard, before Tyler came to the sudden realization.

"Wait, who is driving?"

Suddenly, the bus jerked to the side and everyone screamed.

Tyler immediately grabbed Ellie and pulled her close to his chest. He wrapped his arms around her to make sure she wouldn't leave his grasp.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Where are they?" Dylan asked, constantly checking her watch. She paced around, uneasy.

"Please, please, please, don't be late on our first day!" Dylan started to tiptoe and look for the team, which were unable to be found.

"Oh, hey, Dylan! Where's your 'team'?" Brody asked. He and Logan had walked up to the unexperienced captain.

"You know... I thought I smelled Valley trash earlier, but it turns out I was just walking by the dumpster." Brody joked, giving Logan their infamous handshake, both laughing in the process.

"That's funny! You know, they're on their way. Be here any second. Boop-boop! Oh, just got a text. They're right around the corner." Dylan awkwardly laughed.

"Did you just say, 'boop-boop'?" Logan mocked.

"No, that's the sound my phone makes when I get a text. Oh, hang on, I gotta respond. Click, click, click, click..." Dylan nervously typed on her phone, silently praying that her team would soon arrive.

"Your phone is wack." Logan looked at Dylan weirdly.

"Just admit it, Dylan. You can't handle being a captain. Garvin should have never given you a tower." Brody scoffed and walked inside HQ, Logan following closely behind.

Dylan's sad face was soon replaced with a bright smile as soon as she saw her team arrive, bus stopping right in front of her.

The kids filed out of the bus and stopped right in front of the captain.

"Hey, guys! Ready to save some lives?" Dylan smiled enthusiastically.

"Oh! Can you say it again? Eric's head was in the way." Vooch stepped out of the bus, camera already rolling.

"Vooch has been filming us for weeks without our knowledge." Eric explained.

"When you say it like that, it sounds creepy." Ellie shifted her weight between her feet.

"Oh, that's... troubling." Dylan slowly nodded.

The sound of the bus honk was a very clear sign that the wedding couple were ready to go.

"All right, all right. I'm coming. I'll be right there." Vooch responded when the bride poked her head out of the bus doors.

"I'm so proud of you guys. Aw. Kill it today, okay? No, wait! Save it." Vooch cooed and hopped back on the bus.

The yellow vehicle sped off with the "Wedding March" playing loudly. Cans, connected to the back of the bus with string, rattled as the bus took off. The smoke from the spluttering engine caused the kids to cough and fan away the toxic air.

"You guys, you're here! You're officially Malibu Junior Rescue!" Dylan smiled happily.

"Yeah!" Tyler gave a high-five to Eric.

"Now what?" The blond asked.

✧✧✧✧✧

"Malibu Beach. Twenty-seven miles of the most beautiful coast in the world, and it's our job to protect all of it. From the beach, from the water, from the air..." Dylan showed the team of the mini Malibu map.

"From space!" Eric happily added and imitated a rocket launch.

Dylan slightly shook her head.

"Not space. That's not really our jurisdiction."

Eric shrugged and put his mini rocket ship back into his shirt pocket.

✧✧✧✧✧

Brody focused as he squeezed the last of the black marker's ink onto the clear board.

"All right!" He exclaimed and stepped back to admire his work.

"Welcome to the first day of Malibu Beach Junior Rescue! Come on!" Brody clapped, and everyone soon followed suit.

"Now listen. Our job is about more than just hangin' out at our towers and lookin' pretty. But some of us can't help it. Am I right, Tower One? Come on." Brody faced his team and joined his team in their barking.

"Junior Rescue also gets assignments each morning, and I'm the one in charge of handing them out. Most are dope. Some are super lame. But they all gotta get done. So get pumped, Tower One, because I gave us ATV patrol. Come on!" Brody and his team, once again, performed their barks.

"Everybody else... check the board. Let's go!" Brody tossed the pen at the board and walked out of HQ with his team.

✧✧✧✧✧

Word Count: 1051 Words

Feedback is always appreciated :)