CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Days slowly passed after Zayn’s last visit, and although it’d probably be for the better that he didn’t show up again, it still frustrated me. Coming home every day, without him turning up or sitting on my couch, it all felt like one great disappointment. It was also mind blowing that even Harry couldn’t fill the aching gap I had in my chest. When Harry stayed over the day after Zayn left, it was nice hearing his stories about the recording studio and how amazing it all was, but my mind couldn’t help but drift away after two minutes of listening. Not that Harry’s stories were boring… Or maybe they were, compared to the mysterious side of Zayn, leaving me with so many unanswered questions and such a lingering curiosity that I barely was able to sleep at night.

Now, after two weeks without any sign of him, I start to wonder if it wasn’t all just a dream. What if it was a dream? Something my mind set up after seeing the brown eyes of the man with the gun who made me intrigued much more than I should. And maybe Lucas’ uncle was just someone who had brown eyes and fitted the picture. And maybe all the things I saw just turn out to be imagined.

I shake the thoughts out of my head while taking my bags to go home. I had been cleaning the classroom for about an hour after school, and I had enough of it now. I turn the light off, close the door and go two flights down the stairs again. But it’s just when I enter the playground that I see Lucas leave with an adult that again, doesn’t seem to be his mom or dad.

It’s Zayn.

It’s definitely him.

My heart starts to race from the moment I notice it and my mind tries to come up with some sort of plan to not let him slip away again. Because I want to know why he never turned up.

It’s probably not the best plan, but I decide to go with whatever comes on my mind and that just happens to be following them. I quickly go and place my bags in the teachers room, because I don’t like to carry them while doing such exciting and adventurous things. Those two just don't go together.

After I put them away, I sprint down the playground, following the road Zayn and Lucas took. I know Lucas only lives two blocks away from school. It’s probably a five minute walk or so. It gives me enough time to think about what to do if Zayn drops Lucas off. Maybe he’ll stay there for an hour? I can’t wait an hour in the cold winter air. Of course it has to be today that I decided not to put on my winter coat. Things like that always happen on big moments like this… Great.

I keep enough distance between them and me to be able to look away or hide behind a car if I have too, but luckily for me Zayn seems to be very relaxed and doesn’t look around one time. Maybe I did imagine it all? I hate these thoughts. I hate thinking I made it all up. But somehow the possibility of it doesn’t leave my mind.

After five minutes, we arrive at Lucas’ place and I see both of them entering the typical English townhouse. I wait just behind the corner of the street, acting like I’m doing something on my phone, to not let people think I’m up to something… Or following someone… Or being absolutely out of my mind while doing this when it’s so cold outside. I feel my teeth shatter and my body sends out shivers to let me know that it’s way too cold to be standing still outside in the humid air. Just when I give Zayn five minutes to leave the house before I go back, I see that familiar quiff of black hair come out of the English house going the other way. I take a deep breath and I wait just a couple of seconds before I’m following him again.

It surprises me how we pass so many undergrounds but he never takes one. I cannot help but hope every single time we walk past one, but he never goes down. I don’t even feel my toes and my fingers anymore. It’s turning dark and I’m definitely regretting the plan I chose to execute.