Chapter fourteen

Annie's p.o.v

"Where are you taking me?" We had been driving for about 30 minutes now and he still hadn't told me our destination.

"Relax, darling! I'm not going to murder you and bury your body in the middle of the woods." He turned to me smiling. "I was the last person you were seen with alive. It would be too obvious."

"Hilarious!" I rolled my eyes. "Now answer my question!"

"I'm taking you out to dinner! Looking at you has made me hungry!" He licked his lips and I turned my head the other way. "Are you nervous?"

"Well, duh! If you haven't noticed, I'm still wearing my pajamas. Therefore, I can't dine with you in public!" I explained.

"Oh, I know! But I simply don't care about what you're wearing!" He shrugged. "And you could always wear my shirt, if it bothers you this much!"

"You had already planned this, didn't you?" I shook my head laughing.

"It is crucial for people like us to be prepared for anything!"

Oh, the reality behind that statement! I turned my gaze to him and noticed a glimpse of sadness in his eyes.

"How come I don't remember you?" I tried to stir memories of him from when we were young, but nothing came up.

"That's because you were only three years old when I was sent to England!" He explained. "And that is also why I didn't recognize you at the tracks."

"In your defense, dad made sure that no one outside our families knew of my existence!" I reasoned. "I remember mom and dad bicker about how I was in constant danger. Of course, I didn't understand it at the time, but now I do!"

"How was he like?" He asked. "Your father, I mean!"

"Well, he was always organized and smiled a lot. He could've been working for hours on end at the company, but when he came home, he always made time for us! Never once he would complain!" I zoned out staring at the distance.

"He sounds like a good man!" He said making a turn.

"He was!" I approved. "How much longer until we arrive?"

"We already have!" He said getting out of the car and pointing at the pizzeria.

"Alex, I can't go in there!" I said.

"Who said we're dining there?" He teased me. "We will just order our pizzas and eat them in the car."

I stared at him in amazement. He knew how to make me feel better without me even saying anything. I wasn't falling for him on full speed, was I? 

"What? You don't like pizza?" He was concerned.

"No, I like it!" I smiled at him pointing at my pajamas. 

"Good!" He kept smiling as he went inside to take our dinner.

I got in the car and turned on the radio. Immediately, I was welcomed by Tove lo and Nick Jonas's voices. Their voices were a match made in heaven.

As I was singing along to them, I smelled the pepperoni from the pizza's. Only then I turned around to be met with Alex's intense gaze on me. His lips turning into a smile. Instinctively, I licked mine and his gaze darkened.

"Your voice is incredible!" He stated. 

"Nah, I was way out of tune!" I shrugged and he gave me a bored look.

"Any record label would be dumb and not to mention deaf, if they don't sign you!" His expression led me to believe he was very serious about this.