Chapter twenty four

Annie's p.o.v

As I waited for mom to arrive, my train of thoughts went to the isle of Alex and I. The landscape had bright green grass and colorful flowers every other quarter of a mile. In the center there was a beautiful cottage made with alternations between wood and rocks. Heading closer to it I noticed that the front door was slightly open. I could hear my own footsteps as I went in. The hall was a sight to see: a spotless mirror hung on the white wall, a gorgeous chandelier centered the ceiling and the black doors were inviting me to explore what stood behind them.

I went in the first door. It was a living room. A couple was cuddling on the couch as they watched TV. The blonde locks of the woman were hiding some of the man's arms. They were smiling at each other, radiating happiness. My heart warmed at the sight.

But then, another man walked in and took the woman away from the man. The latter looked broken as the love of his life slipped through his fingers. The woman kept shifting her gaze between the man on the couch, her stomach and the man who was taking her. I had a feeling that she was pregnant and some tears escaped my eyes as I stared into her green ones which were filled with tears, sadness and sorrow.

I wanted to get away from the room. The happiness was replaced with the pain. As I entered the hallway once again, I noticed that the mirror was now cracked, the chandelier was scattered on the floor. The walls that were once white had turned into black.

Running outside I noticed that the clouds were covering the sky, ready to make it rain. I could smell something burning as I walked further away. Everything had turned gray; the only visible color was the redness of the fire burning down the house. The woman cried as it started raining thinking that it would stop the fire, but it seemed as though it was not water, but gasoline and the fire kept burning.

When I saw the woman's broken state I was reminded that the man she was cuddling with was still inside the house, burning alive. I felt my own heart tearing to pieces imagining this scenario happen to me.

"Annie, why are you crying?" My mom's eyes were filled with worry.

I simply wiped the tears away and hugged her tightly. Breathing in her scent while sobbing, I was teleported back to when I was 5 years old: her comforting me whenever I had a nightmare.

This time I wasn't asleep. The same scenery; the same concept every time! But I always thought that I would have them while I was asleep...

Even when we sat down, she didn't push me away from her hug. I didn't care that people could have been watching! You were never too old to hug your mother or to cry on her shoulder. No matter what, I knew that I always had a home in her motherly embrace.

"It's alright, Belle!" She rubbed my back and I smiled sadly at the nickname dad had given me. "Whenever you're ready!"

From the last line I realized how lucky I was to have her. My mother, my guardian!

"It's the same nightmare mom!" I confessed.

"You are afraid that one day it will come true!" She didn't need to see me to know the truth behind her words.

"The fear has intensified since I met Alex." I took a deep breath.

"Are you falling for him?"

"I'm falling so fast that I don't know if there is going to be some solid ground to land on!"

"You think Alex doesn't feel the same way?"

"No, I know he does. But I'm afraid the universe doesn't want us to be together!"

"The universe does not matter. Only you, Alex and the feelings you have for each other! Don't let the past become your future!" She whispered the last sentence.

"What do you mean?"

"Fight for what you want! Live through the victories! Life is too short to let worries and fears control it. Enjoy the love while you still can!"

She was referring to my dad whom she still loved and missed.