Chapter 9

Tyler's POV

"Okay. We are here." I parked the car before turning off the engine.

Both of me and Maya got out of the car. After I locked the car, I reached out my hand and she clasped it with hers. We went into the elementary school and searched for her classroom. Somehow, I felt nervous because of her situation. Having two dads would probably have troubled her in the future when the kids knew about it.

"Dad! Over there." She points out a classroom full of sunflowers and caterpillars. I pulled her hand gently and when we arrived at the classroom, I knocked on the opened door and a female wearing a shawl covering her head, whom I assumed was the homeroom teacher greeted us warmly.

"Come in. I'm Hidaya Youssef. You can just call me Mrs Youssef." She introduced herself. I gave a nod at her before smiling widely.

"I'm Tyler Benington. This is Maya Parker." I introduced myself. Her face frowned in confusion.

"I'm her stepdad. Her father's husband." I explained and she nodded her head before giving me an understanding smile.

"Nice to meet you both, Mr. Benington and Maya. Maya, you can go find your own seat now and Mr. Benington, you can join the rest of the parents at the back for the briefings." I nodded my head and ushered Maya in her classroom.

She chose the seat on the right side end column, next to the window from the front door. When she had settled in, I went to the back and greeted the other parents. Some of them gave me a sidelong glance since they've probably heard my conversation between Mrs Youssef just now. But, some of them were friendly and greeted me warmly. Especially the woman who stood next to me.

"Hi. I'm Elaine Ling. I'm Aiden's mother. The boy who sat right in front of your daughter." She introduced herself. She was Asian. I smiled at her before reaching out my hand for a handshake.

"I'm Tyler Benington. Maya's stepdad." I introduced myself to her and she returned my handshake along with a smile.

"I'm so excited for their first day of school. Can't you believe it? They grow up so fast!" She exclaimed excitedly. I let out a small chuckle.

"I know right? Next thing we know, they are already in middle or high school." I said. Maya was already seven this year and I felt like she was growing up so fast. Last time she was five years old when I first met her.

"Oh my God! Yes! And then they will talk about boys or girls." She rolled her eyes. I let out a chuckle at her.

"Oh no. I won't let Maya be around boys that early. She would have a boyfriend at 17 or 18 at least." I exasperated. If she wanted to date, she would have to bring that person to meet me and Kyle first before they started dating. I'm not going to turn a blind eye on that matter. I might be gay, but I know how boys think.

"Oh come one. You were like that once." She nudged me.

"Yes. That's why I want to avoid it for her sake." I said while wiggling my eyebrows before both of us let out a quiet chuckle.

Our conversation came to a halt when Mrs Youssef started the class after all the seats had been filled with students. She explained the class schedules and at what time we would pick our kids. After an hour of briefing with the parents, it was time for us to go. I went to Maya before kissing the top of her head and her cheeks. She also gave a kiss on my cheek.

"Be good, okay. I'll pick you up later. And I love you so much." I said and she nodded her head.

"I love you too, dad." She replied.

I gave her a smile before walking out from the classroom with Elaine, Aiden's mom. When I looked back, she was talking with Aiden and my heart swelled with relief that she could make friends on her own on the first day. Elaine and I swapped numbers with each other before we parted ways.