Chapter 6

Kyle's POV

After dinner, I bring Tyler to walk in the park. I kept holding his hand, unable to let it go because if I let go, my hand would feel incomplete. I feel so comfortable around him and I wish to have him by my side forever. But, I have to take things slowly as I don't want to rush him. 

I don't want to put a lot of hopes in case things didn't turn out well for the both of us. However, I can't shake the feeling of unconditional love for him already. Every time I gaze into his gray eyes, all I could feel was butterflies in my stomach. I would love it if those pair of gray eyes were the first thing I look at every time I woke up in the morning.

We sat down at one of the park benches, close to each other. The night breeze was cool and humid despite being in the summer. The ambience felt soothing and even more calm with Tyler next to me. After a while of comfortable silence, Tyler spoke.

"How did you know I would be at the beach that day?" He asked and I was stunned for a while. Should I tell everything to him? I hesitated for a moment before answering his question and decided to answer it truthfully.

"I didn't. I was passing by after I dropped off a friend at her house." I said. His face contorted a bit into a confusing look.

"A friend?" He asked. I nodded my head.

"It was a woman my mom wanted me to get to know with." I answered while staring at his gray gaze. I could see a flash of hurt but it disappeared quickly like it came.

"But, it didn't work out between me and her. I felt nothing when I was around her." I shrugged my shoulders.

It was true. I couldn't feel a single emotion. I didn't feel my stomach flutters, heart pounding, nothing. But it was different with Tyler. I felt all those emotions and even the fireworks thingy people in chick flick movies would always mention. I thought it was nonsense, but I felt it myself.

"I don't want to lead her on even more than I should, so I told her honestly about what I felt." I continued.

"What did she say after that?" He asked. I let out a heavy sigh.

"She didn't. She just got out of my car and left, without looking back." I said. I felt guilty for leading her on though. But, I'm glad I told her honestly rather than keeping it inside. I only hope the best for her.

"But everything feels different when I'm with you, Tyler." I paused, looking into his eyes before continuing, "When I stopped by that beach that night, I didn't even know it was you after I had saved you. When I called out to you to stop you from going further, you turned around and, it wasn't your face I was seeing at that time." I stopped for a moment as I tried to recall that day.

"It was my late wife, Sara." His eyes widened and his jaw slacked. He put his free hand on his mouth.

"I was surprised too, seeing her face, that I was frozen in my place. When she disappeared into the water, I frantically swam to save her. When I had pulled you out of the water, at that moment I realized it was you. You weren't breathing, so I did CPR on you. The thought of me couldn't save you in time flooded my mind." I paused.

"When you coughed up the water, I was beyond relief. And at that moment I started to feel things for you. I didn't know what it was until I kissed you in your room that night." I explained and a scarlet blushed swept across his cheeks. I let go of his hand and cupped his face.

"For the past five years, I've never felt anything for anyone other than my late wife, until I met you. It was shocking even to myself that the thought of me falling in love again after Sara was mind boggling and even more so to a guy since I was straight before." I stared into his gray eyes that were glistening with tears.