Chapter 36

After the emotional roller coaster of returning to Vault 111, I needed to collect my thoughts. And who better to help me with that than my best friend?

I walked into the big house in Sanctuary. I passed Danse in the hallway as I stopped outside of Piper's room. I knocked on the door frame and peeked in.

"Hey, Blue! Come on in, I was just finishing up an article."

I walked in and stood by her desk.

"I was hoping I could talk to you for a minute."

"Sure, something on your mind?"

I looked over to her, trying to plan the right words to say.

"You know, I was wrong. I never needed to be away from you all. I had everything I could want right here."

"Blue, everything you want is right there."

Piper gestured towards Deacon, who leaned against a wall in the hallway as he chatted with Danse. He caught my eye and beamed. I smiled back and looked down.

"I don't know how I didn't see it before."

"Everyone else sure did."

I shook my head, laughing.

"That's enough of that. And hey. Thanks for being my friend, even when I didn't make it easy."

"Don't get sappy on me! Save that for Deacon."

She teased as she pulled me in for a hug.

"Okay, okay. I'll let you get back to your writing."

She released me from her hug and playfully shooed me out of the room. As soon as he saw me get close, Deacon excused himself from the conversation with Danse and walked with me down to the street lined with mostly repaired prewar houses.

"Sturges led a team to get the rest of the houses back in shape."

Deacon nodded towards the mechanic, who was hammering a fence post into place.

"He's done a great job. It's been a long road, but I think this is where I was always meant to be. Hell, even a nuclear apocalypse couldn't keep me from making this place livable. But with you, and the others, it's more of a home now than it was before the war."

"You know what they say, home is where the people aren't constantly trying to kill you!"

He chuckled. I shook my head and bumped him playfully.

"I was trying to have a moment, then you go and say something like that!"

Deacon grinned as he adjusted his sunglasses.

"Admit it, boss. You wouldn't change a thing about me."

"Even if that were true, I'd never say so."

I stuck my tongue out at him. He smiled lopsidedly and took my hand.

"I know I'd never change a thing about you. We're like jet and Raiders."

I stopped and looked up at him.

"Like jet and Raiders?"

"Inseparable. Except by death."

"I don't know what I expected."

I laughed, shaking my head. He grinned and pulled me closer, planting a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"It's you and me til the end of time, ain't that right, boss?"

"Damn right, Dee."

I leaned into him for a hug and realized just how true his words were. 

After all this time, and all the mistakes I've made, he was there for me. Now we had a chance to start our life, but rather than try to go back to the past I left behind, I was going to move forward. I'm going to move forward with Deacon by my side, like it always should have been, And as long as we were together, it doesn't seem like it's the end of the world.

THE END