Chapter 8

The view from Fizztop Grille was spectacular. I leaned forward on the railing as I watched the sun dip below the horizon. After months of work, I finally cleared out the dangers in Nuka-World. It was a long road, but I made it. Not home, but the closest I would get to it here and now. I barely heard the heavy footsteps approaching behind me.

"You did it, Overboss. You turned on the power."

"Yes, I did."

I didn't turn to face Gage.

"Tonight should be a night of celebration. I got a crate of Dark here. Thought you might need a drink."

I grabbed a few bottles from the box and walked to the elevator.

"Drink, yes. Celebrate, no. I'll be back later."

Gage watched in confusion as I took the elevator down and started walking. I left him behind, making my way somewhere quiet. I walked into the safari themed section of the park and climbed up into the tree house. I pulled the chair closer to the balcony and sat down. The sky was dark now, and the lights shone for the first time at night in centuries. I flipped on the radio and opened the first bottle of Nuka-Cola Dark. The taste was overly sweet, so much that it almost completely covered the alcohol taste.

Perfect. I needed the drink, tonight of all nights. I held up my battered Pip-Boy, even though I knew exactly what tonight was. One year ago exactly, the Institute blew up, taking the person I cared most about in this world down with it.

By the time I finished the second bottle, my composure was as fragile as glass. I opened the third and last bottle, and heard a familiar song on the radio.

'And don't you know, it's the eeeend of the world.'

That one song was the rock that shattered what was left of my heart. I began to cry uncontrollably. I sniffed and sang along with the radio, my words wavering more and more. I held the bottle up to my lips, only to have it stop suddenly. I opened my eyes to find Gage standing next to me with his hand on the bottle.

"Go away."

I muttered at him. I didn't want him to see me this way.

"Overboss, you've had too much. Come on, I'll take you home."

I shoved his outstretched hand away.

"No! Don't you get it?! This isn't my home. It never will be."

"You're drunk. You've had a lot on your plate these past few months. I get it. Now let me help you."

"Gage, you have no idea what I've been through. Don't. Just go away. I don't want you here."

I swatted his hand away again. He stepped back, his face hardening.

"And here I was, thinking we've gotten close. Seems I was wrong."

I paused, my mind going through everything that had happened since I arrived at Nuka-World.

"Don't tell me you have a thing for me. That won't end well."

Gage folded his arms, his good eye piercing mine.

"Are you saying that to protect me? Or yourself? You have to let someone in before you destroy yourself and everything you worked for here."

"Go AWAY! I don't need to hear this! Get out. Out! Now!"

He snorted and shook his head.

"What ever you say, Overboss."

He left the tree house, and I was alone again. I finished the bottle and threw it as hard as I could towards his disappearing shape in the distance. I curled up in a ball on the matress I left here and did my best to fall asleep.