Chapter 15

"What do you mean he is back in town" Caroline asked angrily while Bonnie sat at the table in the Mystic High library.

"He's back in town. I don't know what to say. Stefan knows about him though..." Elena said trailing off trying not to feel so down about this whole situation.

Truth is she didn't know what to say about it all. Yeah she no longer liked him, but will she always care? Probably. Will she act on that? Probably not. It was hard to tell, but she knew she wanted nothing to do with him because she was finally in a good place with Stefan and she cared so much about him.

But she had history with Jake, and they were good together at one point, they were happy. Fast forward to now, and he's making his way back into town. Chances are he is probably already here, enrolled in school. What would she say to him? Would she even meet up with him? Would she do that to Stefan? Or better yet, don't you think closure is something you need once you end a relationship? She had no idea, and honestly, the thought of all this was making her head hurt. She didn't want to screw this up.

"And what does Stefan have to say about this?" Bonnie asked

"Jake came over to my house yesterday, but I refused to see him. My mom had him leave because we had Stefan's family over for lunch. He said he trusted me, and I told him he had nothing to worry about, but I can tell this is weird for him, and understandably so." Elena responded.

"He doesn't deserve to see you again; you kicked him out of your life once. You can do it again" Caroline reminded Elena angrily.

"And what would that make me look like? A terrible person? I don't have a reason to not see him, but then again I don't exactly want to either." Elena said trying to sound reasonable.

"You aren't the terrible person, he is" Bonnie said quietly.

"We had our differences, but we were together once, and I respect that" Elena said, still trying to sound reasonable.

"You don't have to respect a man like that, he isn't worth it" Caroline said furiously

"Caroline, I'm done having this argument. I don't want this putting a strain on Stefan and I's relationship, so I will do whatever I can to try and get this over with quick as possible. And if that means meeting him, then so be it." Elena responded with a tone a little harsher than intended.

"Sorry I want to look out for you Elena, but you yourself know why things ended and keep that in mind." Caroline countered.

"I do remember and I do not need your reminders." Elena said before she got up and stormed off to history class well before the bell was supposed to ring.

XXXX

"And here is your time table. Looks like you have history with Alaric Saltzman right now. That's just down the hall and to your right, room 102" Mrs. Pacrany told Jake as she handed him his timetable.

"Thanks" he smiled as he walked out of the office.

Right when he walked out of the office he heard a high pitched scream which he was fairly certain was his name.

When he was turned around he was brought face to face with the one and only Caroline Forbes.

"Caroline, always a pleasure to see you" Jake winked and smiled at her

"You listen to me right now" Caroline began

"Already? I haven't even been in school for an hour yet" he teased

"Shut the hell up and listen to me Jake Thomas Meyer" Caroline said leaning into him

"Aw come on, not cool Care. Just Jake will do!" he groaned.