Chapter 3

They were all sitting at the dinner table just talking after they finished dinner up. It was Miranda and Grayson across from each other, Giuseppe and Sofia beside each other, and Stefan and Elena across from each other.

Dinner had flown well, they were all immersed into conversation and it was just nearing 7pm, so the night was still young.

Elena had been nodding and smiling when the time was right, and added her input when necessary, nothing too extreme. Giuseppe talked about his time spent in New York for the last 10 years and why they decided to move back. They were interested in settling down in a small place again after 10 years in the big city. Both their sons Damon and Stefan were grown up and they were finding their own paths and they were establishing themselves and Sofia and Giuseppe wanted to support them. So when Stefan announced that he wanted to move back to Mystic Falls to go through with his in school placement, his parents were more than happy to oblige and move back.

"Elena honey why don't you show Stefan around the house and then you guys can take it out back while we take our drinks to the living room?" Miranda suggested with ease.

Elena smiled and happily obliged, but not before she stomped on her mom's foot under the table and shot her a glare nobody noticed.

All night they had been sneaking glances while the other was not looking. And if Elena was being honest, the way he bit his lip every now and again was driving her insane.

Stefan on the other hand could not get her damn laugh out of his head. It was permanently ingrained into his memory and it was the sweetest thing he had ever heard. The way she giggled every now and again, the way she tucked her hair behind her ear that showed off her long neck. He could imagine what it would feel like to have his lips against her neck, against her lips, against her skin.

Everyone left the dining room leaving Stefan and Elena alone in the kitchen. Elena began to clean up when she heard Stefan speak.

"So, I didn't know you were a gilbert..."

"So... how long have you known my dad?" Elena asked barely able to formulate coherent thoughts at this point due to the interaction between the two.

"Pretty long time, since I was a kid... I mean we all lived in Mystic Falls before we moved to New York when I was 7. You know, I remember you as a kid..." Stefan trailed off...

Elena froze momentarily. She knew it could be a possibility of them knowing each other. I mean, he lived in Mystic Falls and his father is best friends with her Dad. She hadn't completely ruled out the idea.

She chuckled and turned around to face him before she spoke, "I was what? Five? I mean, I don't really recall much..."

With that Stefan got closer helping her get the dishes into the dishwasher. He stood beside her, their shoulders almost touching and both of them could feel this electrifying pull between them. It was like gravity almost... but stronger?

Stefan grabbed the plate from her hands brushing his hand against hers while doing so before he began to speak again.

"Anyways, so... tell me about yourself, I mean, more than those five terrible facts you mentioned today in class."

Elena handed him another plate and laughed. She had been laughing quite a bit lately.

"Um, I don't know... where do I begin?"

"I have an idea, let's play the question game... We can ask each other anything that we want and then we can get to know each other better, yeah?"

Elena looked at him. He looked amazing; he was close enough that she could smell his cologne but far enough that she could see his entire body frame.