Chapter 2

Three days later, I was lugging my bag into the belly of a helicopter, wondering why I had decided to let Meowsie share my luggage.

It was just before dawn when I woke up. Scrambling to make the flight on time, I hurriedly rechecked my bags, reminded Meowsie to pack hers (because I was not sharing a carry-on with her), returned all of my Pokemon to their Pokeballs and then packed them in my backpack.

Sprinting out of my room, my Espeon carrying the larger bags using Psychic, me lugging the carry-on's by hand, we ran for the landing pad.

Boarding the helicopter after struggling to fit my suitcase into the lower compartment, I took a seat on one of the benches, plopped my carry-on duffel bag with my Pokemon inside on my lap, and strapped myself in.

I fiddled with my hair, now bleached a corn-silk white. Father wanted to make sure nobody could recognize me during this job. I knew that people from all over the world had heard of me. I had been the temporary Champion in three regions, I had stolen Pokemon from huge celebrities and crashed huge events and legendary parties. With, I might add, no more than my wits and Pokemon. And a few tools, of course.

But bleaching my hair? That seemed a little much. I could've worn a wig; I'd worn them for multiple jobs in the past. But, since a more recent job in Hoenn where I had my normal hair exposed to the public when an officer pulled at my 'hair' to stop me from running away, Father insisted on no more wigs. Of course, I'd convinced him otherwise on multiple occasions, but this time he'd won the debate.

"I thought Giovanni sent operatives to do his jobs," a familiar voice snorted. "Not little girls." I turned to face Special Operative X, sitting a few feet away. He had been my #1 rival since I'd joined Team Rocket as an official operative. He was 5 years my senior, but had half the skill and brains as I did. Plus, he had zero finesse, in thievery and just in general.

"Jealous," I asked him, smiling sweetly. Flushing red, he turned away. I turned back to face forward and smiled. Like I said; no finesse. "Why are you even here, X," I asked, turning back to him. "I'm genuinely curious. I mean, I get why Giovanni would hire someone to keep tabs on his favorite agent, but I don't need you to be my babysitter."

Face purple with rage, he spluttered, "Y-y-you...you! You-"

Meowsie burst out of her Pokeball to listen in on our argument. "If you don't have any comebacks, then why try insulting her? Honestly, I knew Gia was smarter than you, but your lack of thought process really astounds me," she remarked.

Deciding to ignore him for the rest of the flight, I popped my earbuds in and decided to listen to some music to pass the time. Fiddling with one of my Pokeballs, the hours melted away and before I knew it, we had arrived.

Touching down with a jolting thud, I undid my seat belt and jumped for the door. Sliding open automatically, I was immediately greeted with a hazy grey sky. Thick veils of fog surrounded our copter, blocking out all the scenery of Galar. I love mornings like these.

Breathing in the fresh air of the fog, I decided to let everyone out so they too could enjoy the mist. Tossing out Luxury Balls and Dusk Balls, one by one my partners appeared. Shelgon, Salazzle, Espeon, Skrelp and then finally Meowsie hopped out to join them.

Taking in the scent and look of the area we'd touched down in, I grinned as my Pokemon skittered around, frolicking in the grass. A grunted curse and thud from the helicopter a moment later ruined my good mood.

"Why are you even here, X," I snapped, turning to where he was sprawled on the ground. "Don't you have a job as the village idiot or something to do right now?" Grunting, X tried to get up, but slid on the grass, misted by the early morning, and fell flat on his face again.