Chapter 25

I hit the tree chest-first, and bounced around the limbs like a ball in a pinball machine. Hitting the ground on my feet, I had no time to register the shock in my legs or the pain of my ribs. I had to run, and fast. "Meowsie," I yelled, strapping my backup communicator on mid-sprint. "I need visuals on my location and the nearest safe spot now."

"You're in the Chairman's gardens," she said. "Obviously. They stretch about a full acre in all directions, and they're completely made up of roses of all different breeds."
"Wonderful," I grunted, hurdling foot-tall hedges of sharp thorns, slicing my leggings and my boots.

So much for patent leather, I thought miserably. Ducking behind a particularly large hedge of white roses, I tugged off my shoes and eased my blistered feet into my Converse. Lacing them up with no real ceremony, I immediately got up and ran, the sound of angry yells making their way through the garden.

I leapt over roses in a rainbow of colors. Buttercup yellow, snow white, blush pink, blood-like crimson, even pale teal roses could be found. On a regular night, I would have enjoyed them, but now, I just needed to run like an angry Tyrantrum was after me. I burst out of the rose garden without breaking my stride, headed towards the gate.

"Espeon, give me a boost," I yelled, flinging a luxury ball out in front of me. Bursting out in a flash of golden sparkles, Espeon lifted me up with the move Psychic, boosting me up and over the cast-iron fence and gently setting me on the other side.

She then lifted herself up, and I caught her a moment later. The mob was just starting to appear, yelling profanities and demands to the guardsmen to open the gate. "Sayonara, suckers," I sang, saluting with two fingers before turning and running away, ducking into the labyrinth of alleyways in outer Wyndon.

**********

Winding my way through the streets of Wyndon, I ducked into an abandoned alleyway and pushed my way through the tarp disguising our temporary base. Meowsie was clattering away on a computer, her adoring Perrserker and Meowth fans fawning over her every movement.

I slipped behind a temporary curtain we'd rigged and I changed out of my masquerade outfit. Stuffing my dress into my backpack, I now wore the black hoodie and ripped jean shorts I'd bought our first day in Wyndon. I also had on a white t-shirt and a black lace choker.

"Let's go," I said, slinging my bag over my shoulders. "Time's up. The police are onto us, and we don't have much time before-"

"Where'd she go?!" I froze, the voice of a very angry woman interrupting the rhythmic clacking of Meowsie's paws on the keyboard. "Quick," I murmured. "Get into my bag and zip it up behind you. We'll exit the alleyway, and try to walk away from the crowd casually."

"And if they try to ask you if they've seen the thief who made them look like total idiots?" She asked, clambering onto my shoulders.
"We'll blow up that bridge when we get there," I said, waiting for the sound of my bag zippering shut. Once I'd confirmed that Meowsie was sealed inside my backpack, I grabbed my cloth guitar case and left, the Perrserker trailing along at our heels.

"Won't they just go away," I growled to myself, pulling my hoodie over my head before turning onto the sidewalk. Keeping my head down, I quickly walked in the opposite direction the crowd was going. Once we'd passed the crowd, I began to relax a bit more, but I wasn't going to fully relax until we'd gotten to the train station.

We crossed a huge bridge spanning over a huge canal filled with water and boats, and I smiled at the fairy lights bathing the river in a golden glow. The Perrserker had gone away awhile back, so it was just myself, gazing out on the water. I was just about to continue on when a hand tapped my shoulder.

"Excuse me, miss, but have you seen a young woman in a black dress pass by here?" I turned to face whoever had stopped me and gave them an icy glare a Beartic would have frozen from. It was Raihan, and he gaped in fear at my glower. Then, his face contorted in recognition and I turned and ran.

"Stop," he yelled, starting to run after me. The chase was on. I heard a Pokeball bursting open behind me, but I didn't pay it heed. Tossing out another luxury ball, I let out Skrelp, my Mock Kelp Pokemon. "Quick, Skrelp, into the canal," I yelled, before scooping him up and tossing him over the side of the bridge. Turning to face Raihan, he now had a Flygon standing beside him.

In a brief moment of immaturity, I stuck my tongue out at him, ran, and vaulted over the side of the bridge. Instantly, the bottoms of my shoes opened up and lengthened into water skis. Skrelp had grabbed a thick rope from one of the boats moored on the side, and had one end tied around him. Taking off at top speed, I gripped the rope as tight as I could, wind whipping through my wig and water splashing to either side of me.

"Yahoo," I whooped, grinning like a maniac. "Try to keep up with this, Dragon Lord!"