Chapter 44 -- Piers' POV

I watched Gia carefully, trying to see anything related to a traumatic, childhood accident. She seemed so calm. In control. Always three steps ahead of everyone else. I couldn't imagine living with something like that; she was so strong, stronger than anyone I knew.

The sky was the color of ash, and thunder rumbled on the horizon. Maybe I should take her hoodie out there, my mind suggested. Just bein' courteous and nice, I thought as I walked out with the hoodie over my arm. Definitely not makin' excuses t'see her. Not at all.

"Hey," I called as I approached. She turned with a start, before relaxing. "It's pretty cold out; thought you could use a jacket or somethin'."
"Thank you," she accepted the hoodie with a smile, pulling it over her head before turning back to the bay. I stood next to her, watching her watching the slate-grey water.

"I love rainstorms," Gia said suddenly. "I always have, ever since I was little."
"I like 'em too," I smiled, turning to Circhester Bay. "The sound, the way the sky turns black, even the smell's refreshin'."

She chuckled. "It's a bit more than that for me. I don't know why, but whenever I see the sky turn black and lightning flashes, I feel just a little more alive."
"Would it be selfish o' me if I told ya I thought stormy skies made Dark types more powerful?"
"Just a bit."

We laughed a little, then turned to the water again. A Grapploct was swimming out there with his Trainer. Mantyke and Remoraid were leaping out of the water with joy to feel the cool rain on their skin. I swore I even saw a Dhelmise floating ethereally just under the surface of Circhester Bay.

"Y'know, Marnie really likes ya, Gia," I said. "She's happy t' have another girl 'round the house, and Meowsie. The Zigzagoons're imprintin' on Salazzle, an' Toxie's still smitten with my Toxtricity."
"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were asking me to stay here in Galar," she laughed, smiling coyly. "Would ya say yes if I was?"

The smile dropped off her face. "Piers, I--"
"It wouldn't be like ya are now," I rushed to spit out. "I mean, you'd get paid if ya stayed. Here. As Team Yell's leader."
"I thought you were Team Yell's leader," she said, confused.

"I never really appealed t' the idea of leadin' a team," I confessed. "It was just supposed to last 'till the end of the Gym Challenge, but then, well, Spikemuth liked havin' somethin' special to bring to the region, I guess. Bein' Galar's official gang, s'pose. I'd get more time to spend on my musical career if I didn't have t' lead it."

Gia stayed quiet. "What are you saying?" she asked finally.
"I'm sayin' I'd like to offer ya the position of Team Yell's new Captain. Fully paid, workin' regular hours, full access to everythin' Spikemuth's got to offer," I summarized, pitching the sale the best I could. "My couch's always got a free space on it if ya need it."

"Piers, I..." she sighed. "Thank you, for the offer. But I can't. It's not about you, or Marnie, or even Galar. It's...my dad."
"Yer dad?" I asked, confused.
"Yes. He's my boss. If I were to live here, I'd never be able to see him or my brother or my friends ever again."

"Ya'd also never see that minger Lavinnia again," I blurted without thinking. Instantly, Gia's eyes refocused on the horizon and her grip on the wooden rails tightened. "Meowsie told us 'bout what happened," I explained, still watching her. Her knuckles were snowy white when she whispered harshly, "Then you know why I don't sing anymore."

I nodded, tentatively reaching out. She flinched when I slipped a hand onto her shoulder, but relaxed as I slowly started to rub at the tension between her shoulder blades. "If it were a different world, I might say yes to your offer," she said finally after she'd relaxed again. "But I have obligations back in Kanto."

I nodded silently, leaving my hand on my shoulder as we turned back to watch the bay. She didn't protest, even when it turned to grasped hands as we ran back to Spikemuth as the rain started to pour.