Chapter 37

I was starting to panic. Two Pokemon down. One left to choose. He's got two as well, and Obstagoon is huge, plus it's taken almost no damage. What to do, what to do, I worried, pacing back and forth.

Then, I noticed the Z-Ring on my arm. It had been sitting there, the whole time, not doing anything. I weighed the options, but then decided, to hell with it. This win would cost me all my hard work, and most likely my freedom, at the very least.

Chances were, Piers would hand me over to the cops as soon as he got the shot, even if I won the battle. But, if I did win, I just might be able to shock Spikemuth with my power and talent long enough to escape.

Now, to decide who to choose. Glancing down to my Z-Ring one last time, I knew exactly who to choose. "Meowsie, let's win this thing." Hopping off my shoulder, she ran onto the battlefield without any questions asked. We were thinking the same thing; we didn't have time for debate.

"Ready?" Marnie asked, glancing at both of us, one hand raised. I nodded, turning to face my opponent. Pokemon battles are like chess; You need a strategy nobody will see coming, I reminded myself. The battle isn't over yet. I can still win this...somehow.

"Battle resume!"

"Obstagoon, use Throat Chop," Piers said, and the giant raced towards us.
"Wait for it...wait for it," I murmured, waiting for the right time. The Obstagoon came closer, clawed hand glowing with power. If it hit her, it wouldn't do a whole lot of damage, but I didn't want to take any chances. "Now! Dodge it!"

Leaping with the grace of a dancer, Meowsie jumped from the path of the charging Pokemon. Stumbling, the Obstagoon slowed down just before crashing into me. "Now, quick, use Shadow Ball," I called. Twisting around, Meowsie formed a ball of pure shadow. Launching it like a bowling ball, it flew towards the Obstagoon. Before it could block it, the move connected with its head and it fell backwards.

"Wonderful," I said, giving Piers a wink. He didn't respond, his eyes trained on his Pokemon. Smart. I had to hand it to him, for an ex-gym leader with no Dynamax, his Obstagoon was tough. "Obstagoon, get up and use Throat Chop again," he said, thumping his foot to the rhythm of the now cheering Spikemuth residents.

Lunging towards Meowsie, Obstagoon charged again, and I smiled. You're playing right into my hand, Piers, I grinned. "Dodge it again," I smiled. This fight will be over in minutes. Meowsie leapt the other way this time, but I didn't get why Piers was smiling until it was too late. "Let's go," he said, thrusting a fist out.

Turning mid-sprint, the side of Obstagoon's paw connected with Meowsie's neck, and she went flying backwards. "No," I shrieked, as Meowsie landed with a thud in front of me. "Can you keep going?" I asked her.
"Yeah," she grunted, jumping back up.

"Your Meowth can talk?!" All of Spikemuth shouted in a cacophony of confusion.

"She can do a lot more than speak," I grinned, Meowsie stroking her whiskers. "Use Copycat!" Her right hand lighting up with power, she mimicked the exact move used before, Throat Chop. "Use Obstruct," Piers shouted, and Obstagoon crossed its arms just before the move hit.

The court filled up with smoke, courtesy of the aftermath of a blocked move. When it cleared, Obstagoon's arms were still crossed, and had appeared to have taken no damage whatsoever. His partner's strong, I thought. Not many Pokemon can hold off a move like that, even if it's not very effective.

"Now use Shadow Ball," I commanded, Meowsie jumping into the air to ready the attack. I needed her to buy time until I could come up with some way to get around Obstruct. "Use Throat Chop!"
"Copycat!"