Chapter 47 -- Rose's POV

"Mr. Chairman?" Oleana's voice buzzed through the speaker on my desk. "Your guest is waiting in the front lobby."
"Thank you, Oleana," I smiled, though she couldn't see it. "Please send him to my office immediately."
"Of course, Mr. Chairman."

The speaker clicked offline, and I sighed, reclining in my chair. Oleana was a wonderful secretary, bless her. Always so focused and never behind schedule, though she was a bit intense at times. I wrote down a quick mental note to give her a raise.

Silently, the doors to my office slid open and my visitor walked in. "Good evening," I smiled, standing and taking his hand. "Special Operative X, is it?"
"Please, sir, call me Xander," the Team Rocket grunt smiled, taking a seat across from me.

He dwarfed the little chair provided for guests, nearly six feet tall and all muscle. He was of Kantonian descent, with olive skin and narrow black eyes, but his hair was a muted red color and buzzed close to the scalp. "I was told you needed assistance with something regarding a little town here in Galar," he said, getting straight to business. "I have been in contact with my boss, but he has revealed little to no information about this assignment."

"May I ask just who this boss of yours is?" I asked, leaning across the desk. I had spoken with the operative's superior many times over the phone, but never once had his name slipped from him or the people around him. "Mr. G prefers to work...anonymously," X replied coolly. "I'm sure you understand."

I nodded, plastering a smile over my disappointment before leaning back. Coolness was the key to successful business. "Well, then, let me be the first to inform you of your assignment." I got up and walked to the edge of my window, gesturing for X to follow. With a grunt, he rose and walked swiftly to my side.

"Do you see this town? All abuzz with lights and people and Pokemon?"
"Yes," he said, confused. "What about it?"
"I've learned through a little bird that tomorrow evening, two people that have great significance to me will be walking through Wyndon. I want you to kill them."

X stiffened beside me. "Sir, Team Rocket operates from the shadows," he said. "I doubt killing them in broad daylight hardly applies to that rule."
"There is one woman and one man in the group," I continued as if I hadn't heard him.

"The man's name is Piers. He's the former Gym Leader of Spikemuth and the older brother of the current Gym Leader. Very easy to spot if you look him up. The woman's name is Gia, and she's a Team Rocket operative like yourself."
"We've met," X allowed, and I smiled. I could hear in his voice how he was appealing to the idea.

"Piers is currently the person in charge of all financial problems related to Spikemuth," I explained. "Recently, I put him in the position to move the population of Spikemuth to a more...appealing location, until that rat of a woman came and started repairing it and running tours. Now, Spikemuth is on the mend, and I won't have it go any further."

"But why go through all the effort to murder somebody?" X asked. Clearly, he wasn't very sharp, but he wasn't saying no anymore. Good. "If Piers dies now, Marnie is set to inherit the legal deeds regarding Spikemuth. She's so young, I doubt it will be much of a problem to persuade her to move, or better yet, give me full control of Spikemuth's inhabitants. As for Gia, she's merely a fly I've yet to swat. Consider her death an extra reward for your efforts."

X was silent for a moment. "You've wired the funds to the bank account?" he finally asked. I broke into a smile of victory.
"All ten million dollars are secure and ready for pickup."
"How do you want me to kill them?" he asked, taking an ultra ball from his belt. "Pokemon attack? Brute force? Poison?"

At the mention of poison, a Beedril burst from the Pokeball. At first, I began to laugh, before it caught in my throat when I noticed the mega stone hanging on a leather rope around its abdomen. X smirked at my stunned expression.

"Special Operatives have access to many...certain privileges others don't. Perks of the occupation." As my eyes glanced to where his other hand was lingering, I noticed the matching bracelet with a Key Stone hanging from his belt loop.

"I'd like for it to look like an accident," I swallowed. Knowing the Pokemon standing beside me could take on a different, more powerful form at will instead of at certain locations was very unsettling. "A freak accident. A wild Pokemon attack would work, but Beedril aren't found around here, so it would look suspicious."

"I have other methods," X grinned maliciously, releasing a Drapion and a Roserade with black and purple roses. "A Pokemon attack might be just a bit too crazy of an accident in a city like Wyndon," I said, nervous under the glares of his Pokemon that were directed right at me.
"Perhaps something akin to a natural disaster. We are situated right by Route 10 so a blizzard could work--"

"Or, perhaps, something a bit more destructive," he grinned. "I need to make a couple of calls to Kanto. I'll need a lot of Ground types for my plan to work. Thank you for your time, Rose." And with that, he recalled his Pokemon (much to my relief), turned and left my office without another word.